Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you do?

I am trying to make a decision here and a little insight from you all would be beneficial. Right now, my car is 90-95% tuned. I have $400 invested in dyno/tune time plus the gas to drive 1 hour 40 minutes round trip twice already. Plus taking vacation time from work. I'm done with that shop. I was about to move on to another tuner, but got to looking at HPTuners and wondered if I should just quit wasting money and do my own work. I built the engine myself, shouldn't I command how it runs? It would be nice to datalog what the car is doing when making a pass at the track as well. However, I'm probably only $200 worth of tuning from having it running spot on. I don't have laptop either which makes it more money up front. WOT is all tuned spot on along with most of the tune, but it has some drive ability issues that I need to work out. Plus, when I go to get my new trans from a sponsor here, I will need to lower the line pressure back to stock. Just small stuff that would add up over time to pay for the program.

So do I just find a tuner and have the small issues fixed or go all out and get the laptop and HPTuners and have it done!?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue at one time. My cars were always set up for WOT but I experienced bucking and other issues. I just hated driving my car daily. If you have the will and patience to learn and truly understand tuning then go for it. I've tuned my car and now have others wanting me to tune theirs. I'm not going to lie tuning your car right will take a lot of time. I recommend Greg's book. It helped me when I first started the learning process. I'd also like to mention that WOT is the easiest part to tune its the daily driving tune that takes more time.

Last edited by StreetLethal01; 09-29-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Investing in your own tuning software is one of the best investments you can make into your hot rod. Even after your tune is perfect, you'll find something else that can be better about it. Do your research and pick the package that best suits your needs.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My initial reasoning when I first PURCHASED HP Tuners was because I received what I considered a bad tune from one of the most well respected tuners in the country. It had alot of drivability issues that were fixed in one very short session my first time tuning. Since then I've tuned several of my own vehicles and for a while tuned on the side for friends & via word of mouth.

HP Tuners has definitely been the best mod I've ever done to any of my vehicles and with its expansion of supported vehicles seemingly any vehicle I purchase in the future will be supported.

So while tuning does have its learning curve it is one of the few mods that will grow with your vehicle.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

This is pretty much the response I expected to get. I feel more comfortable now that the car is at least WOT tuned. Now I don't run the risk of melting down the engine. I can just work on the driveability details that drive me nuts.

I will be somewhat dependent on you guys to get me up and going though. Do I need the Pro series or the standard?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always recommend the pro version for the standalone datalogging & easy hookup of a wideband o2 sensor via the analog inputs.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do it right and get a wideband. I have a friend who got HPT but finds it hard to start the program. For him it is a waste of money. If you like messing with stuff like that go for it. If not find someone who can.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning software is fairly complicated but with forums and good people that help everyday it isnt so bad. If you can read the discriptions of the tables, that helps alot in doing what you need. Engines are engines. They need fuel,spark,and air. So, as if it was a carb engine, you modify the fuel, spark, and air and get results.. But with our ls1 based engines we just get alot more control than the carb days....
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. Your responses aren't going unnoticed. I am shopping for a laptop now. The way the car runs is unacceptable. The spending never ends....
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

This computer should run HPT just fine I think. Does it seem like a decent buy to you guys?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218012528210