Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0l Cranks But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0l Cranks But No Start

I Have A Gmc With A 6.0l And It Had A Crank Sensor Code. The Truck Would Die Driving Down The Road. Replaced The Crank Sensor And The Truck Ran Fine For A While. Took Off To Go Home And The Truck Died. It Then Restarted And Then Died Again. Now It Only Cranks. Fuel Pressure Is Good. The Engine Has No Spark. If I Let It Sit For A Couple Hours It Will Start And Run For A Minute And Then Die. Any Ideas Would Be Greatly Appreciated Thanks Dave
Old 10-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Can you describe the rest of the setup. We once had a 5.7 transplant into a 02 GMC that previously had a V-6. The symptoms were similar and it ended up being the factory cats the customer had on the truck were plugged up. R+R'd the cats and the truck worked.

One other thing to consider would be doing a crank position relearn since you replaced the sensor.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Teching In

THE TRUCK IS A BONE STOCK (40,000 MILES) GMC SIERRA 2500HD 4WD WITH THE STD U CODE 6.0L. IT DOESNT RUN LONG ENOUGH TO GET IT UP TO TEMPERATURE TO DO THE CRANKSHAFT RELEARN. MY SCANNER SAYS I NEED AT LEAST 158 DEG TO DO THE RELEARN PROCEDURE.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT wouldnt be a relearn issue, So i would rule that out. An engine will still run with the crankshaft relearn not done. I would check for a bad pin at the plug of the crank sensor, and i would look for loose, burnt wires in that area. The wireing is VERY close to the exhaust, and it is possible that they are just melted somewhere. Then when you replaced your sensor once, you moved it and it had contact for a while again.