Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning and headers ... my experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning and headers ... my experience

I've got a 99 C5 Corvette MN6. (I'm living in France, my english could have mistakes)
I've bought hptuners one year ago and start learning tuning (reading a lot experiment on my car and on friend's car : C5, fbodies, ... lot of fun with autotransmission)

I've read everywhere : wideband is requiered for serious tuning.
I've bought ARH headers and a wideband... and was ready for the big tune !
Here are my mods :
Halltech Stinger, Borla Stingers, ARH, TStat 160 (and other bold ons but not intake exhaust related).

My car was running leaner just after the headers installation. (WOT : 12'3, AFR commanded : 11'7). (it's not that bad, btw)
Then I've changed my MAF (85mm truck maf) and my induction : Callaway Honker.
I've put a 01 C5 85mm MAF Table and was ready to tune.
Well... Here are the result : According to the WB : the VE table was quite good (average -4%) ... and the MAF table is quite perfect (within 2%).

Well, I've change the PE (12'6@peak Torque, 12'8@peak power), the stock commanded AFR is 11'7 (too rich).

ok..nice. I know my C5 is running well now.
But : I'm very surprised : there's no big changes (tuning oriented) with the headers (performance oriented : excellent). Did I really needed a wideband (just to verify it's ok)?
I can't explain why my 85mm MAF is matching my setup and the 78mm did'nt. (I'haven't tuned with the 78mm)

What do you think about it ? I very happy with how the car is running now, but I'm disapointed about the tuning modification.
So is a tune really required after headers installation ?

I've put a little more timing on it (Forum Folks told me it's not required and dangerous without a dyno)
, I'm going to dyno it saturday!

Next step is headers and cam...then the tune is really needed ! (well...that I thought about headers)

(bonus : here is a video to compare stock/stinger/ stinger + ARH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfq2OCcjjGM
)

Last edited by Brice; 10-10-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok... sometimes I really feel like I'm the one to have a C5 (not Z06) with headers.
That's the information I desesperly wanted to found before...
Here is my dyno: