Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Holy T-Tops Batman!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holy T-Tops Batman!!

I had a very freaky first day experience with my new TA this morning. I had the driver side T-Top go flying off while I was cruising down the Highway! Amazingly enough, it landed in the grass median and escaped with only minor scratches and some dirt and grass to clean off it, but that thing must have sailed a good 30-40 feet up into the air. The rear portion of the T-bar roof has a minor scratch running along it as well. Gave me quite the shock when it happened.

Now, I am 100% sure it was securely latched. I had taken them off yesterday afternoon, and I put the back on last night, latched them completely, and gave them both a very solid tug to check. The one thing I hadn't done was lock them. Those latches take a good amount of force to open and close as well. When I recovered the flyaway T-Top, the latch was fully opened though.

I will now make sure the latches are ALWAYS locked, but has anyone had or heard of this problem before? Is locking them enough? I really don't want to have to worry about losing a T-Top again. I doubt I will be so lucky in retrieving it if there is a next time. This is a bit of a concern for me.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Holy T-Tops Batman!!

It's not all that uncommon. I'm not sure what causes it to happen or if there's any way to keep it from happening
Old 09-13-2003, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your frame could be slightly bent causing the T-top to not sit perfectly.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't imaging the car flexing enough for the T-top to come out. I had my drivers side top blow out years ago, and the passenger side was not latched either I am betting that somehow it was left unlatched.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:16 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, been there done that.

i had my driver side T-top fly off while doing 110mph and it landed on the side of the road unscathed . the plastic got a little road rash but the glass was perfect.

i had forgot to lock them after i had washed my car. lesson learned.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just lost one at 80 mph. And, even worse, an S10 blazer found it. Damage was $1724 to the Blazer. I was sure mine was latched as well. But, I guess it wasn't. I'm sure I unlatched it as I put my lunchbox in the car and then decided not to take the tops out. I had the ac on and the windows up and at 80 mph it just blasted off....landed 1/4 mile behind me in the middle of the interstate and on another vehicle. Just my luck.

It sucks, I've been there. Be glad it didn't get destroyed (like mine).

The worst part is that I've never had a wreck (28 tickets, no wrecks other than 1 motorcycle...totalled). I had an accident free discount (and had earned a "free accident" credit, after 9 years accident free you get a "free pass") and since my car attacked another car with part of its self, it was considered an accident (I hit a car by remote control?).

Anyway...keep 'em latched!!!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:20 PM
Teching In

This also has happened to me, except Midas unlatched them to lift it in the air. I was doing 70mph on an on ramp and the passenger side T-Top went flying off. I looked for an hour and a half, with no luck. Only to come back to my car with a dead battery, a state trooper shinning a flash light in my car and it was raining. Midas was nice enough to buy another t-top for me.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, hopefully lesson learned. I'm going to do my best to make sure I keep them locked. And I'll reiterate again and again, I am 100% certain I latched both sides fully. This is the FIRST car I've owned with T-Tops, and Friday night was the FIRST time I've ever taken them off and put them back on. And you may think that means I could easily have messed up when putting them back on, however that act of putting them on, checking the fit, and giving them a solid tug to make sure they were sturdily locked in place is still vividly in my mind. I even remember wondering if I should lock them, but figured it would not be a problem because the latches required such a firm push to lock in place.

Again, I am 100% sure they were properly latched into place. From now on though, I will always be 100% sure they are firmly latched into place AND locked. If this ever happens again, it will not be by a mistake on my part.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Yah, had a t top fly off my car on the freeway and wasn't able to find it. This was a long time ago on my old WS6.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah, had a t top fly off my car on the freeway and wasn't able to find it. This was a long time ago on my old WS6.
I wish I had simply lost mine instead of having someone else find it with their hood.....
Old 09-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I could have sworn I've seen this post about a year
ago. Even the wording looks like that old post.

Guess it happens often.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had that probablem with a third gen i had... it was pushing upwerds of 475hors but yeah body bends a little and pops em right out... under the a piller there is the seat for the t-top pin, make shure that is adusted correctly you sould be able to find the info you need in a hains or chiltons manual..
i was luckey enough to reach up and grabb my top before it came compleetly off... but its somthing to keep in mind next time you role up on a t top car... maby behind them is not the safest place to be.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if flex is the potential cause, then I think I need to bump the subframe connectors up the priority list. So, after the front brakes are taken care of, it's strut tower brace and subframe connectors. I'm planning on going LG Motorsports. I like what I've seen on their website and the prices are acceptable if the items are as good as they appear to be.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subframe connectors will help ensure that they stay on.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Subframe connectors will help ensure that they stay on.
how? How can body flex be that bad on the freeway?!?

I dont understand how it came off. When you went to go pick up back up, was the handle opened or closed? I really think you just didnt secure it properly
Old 09-15-2003, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At this point the only possibility that makes even a little sense, and it still doesn't seem that plausible, is while driving the car pressure on the pins through body flex and/or plain old vibration worked the handle back open to send it flying off.

The handle was fully opened when I retrieved it. The handle does not open or close easily, takes a good tug. Again, I am absolutely positive it was properly latched. Just take that as a fact, cause it is. I would bet the car itself on it. Here is a pic of driver side with door open. That pic was taken two hours before the T-Top flew off. It WAS fully and properly latched. Now they are also securely locked.

I had every intention of installing subframe connectors anyways, and strut tower brace was at the top of the list behind the brakes, I'm just bumping up the priority even on the chance it will help prevent this in the future.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Wow I had no idea this was that common of a problem. I've never locked mine, but I will now.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

This happened to Jay Johnson at SLP day in Ennis this year while making a 9.8X ET run. 3/4 of the way down the track the passenger side T-Top went sailing up. There is a video of it over on Ls1.com.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure a passenger wasn't messing with it? I just can't see them flying off just going down the highway. I've owned an LS1 f-body for over 3 years and have never locked mine, and never had a problem with them.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

This also has happened to me, except Midas unlatched them to lift it in the air. I was doing 70mph on an on ramp and the passenger side T-Top went flying off. I looked for an hour and a half, with no luck. Only to come back to my car with a dead battery, a state trooper shinning a flash light in my car and it was raining. Midas was nice enough to buy another t-top for me.
Why would they need to unlatch them to lift it? I've never done that with mine. I also never lock mine should I be doing this? Nice avatar by the way.

Quick Reply: Holy T-Tops Batman!!