Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Anyone ever have problems from day 1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have problems from day 1?

Ok so i purchased my 2000 trans am ws6 m6 back in '07 and 4 days after i got the car from a private seller, the trnny, clutch, and slave cylinder all grenaded. the car at the time had 74k miles. i got that all fixed and continued on after 6 months of frustration and banging my head against a wall. Since then i tried to fix the "ganagsta lean" as some would call it. i originally thought that a shock had blown, so i replaced them with koni shocks and strano spring, long behold, it didnt fix the problem, and then fond out later on there is an easier way of fixing it. so another grand down the toilet. and now after 4 years and only putting 25k miles on the car, the tranny, clutch, and slave cylinder all went again. i do not rocket around town or act like a jackass in my car, although "occsionally" i get up on it. after about 8k of money dumped into it, and years of frustration, ive finally thrown in the towel and have accepted that this trans am, is just not for me. So im now selling it to the shop that has my car and am going to start over new in the future. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas of how they would go about doing this? or would alot of you be saying the same thing as mean and after years of frustration just finally accept it and throw the towel in?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

This young teeneager destroyed my WS6, and it had absolutly no problems or anything.
I replaced it with a 02 firehawk. I've been pouring money into that since I got it. First clutch problems, headers leaks, and most currently (working on) the headlight motors.
Not ready to throw in the towel though.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car back in 07, just like the OP. Only thing I've had to replace on it was the water pump. It is almost at 100 000 miles now too....
But the previous owners baby'd the car.. as I do.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redfenix_68
Ok so i purchased my 2000 trans am ws6 m6 back in '07 and 4 days after i got the car from a private seller, the trnny, clutch, and slave cylinder all grenaded.
They all grenaded? Were they all stock? Theres something seriously wrong if everything all together went out like that... What were you doing at the time?
the car at the time had 74k miles. i got that all fixed and continued on after 6 months of frustration and banging my head against a wall. Since then i tried to fix the "ganagsta lean" as some would call it. i originally thought that a shock had blown, so i replaced them with koni shocks and strano spring, long behold, it didnt fix the problem, and then fond out later on there is an easier way of fixing it. so another grand down the toilet.
Should have searched for that one...
At least you got a great suspension package out of it...

and now after 4 years and only putting 25k miles on the car, the tranny, clutch, and slave cylinder all went again.
What tranny/clutch/slave did you go with, stock? Who installed it? What exactly happened this time?
Again there is something really wrong if these things are all failing like this...
If a shop did the install it sounds like they did something very wrong... What other mods do you have done?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2000 is bone stock except for an SLP lid. I got it at about 50k miles and it's at 97k now. The only repair so far has been a broken valve spring. The irony is, I wasn't even running it hard when it broke - just cruising at a steady 45mph on level ground.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Building/maintaining these cars is sometimes frustrating, but I personally enjoy every moment I spend building/modifying my T/A. If it breaks, I fix it, and if I don't like it or want more power, I modify it, simple as that. For me, it's all about the satisfaction I get from being able to point to my T/A and say "I built that car myself." Sometimes things don't go as planned and things do break, but overall, I love my car, and it's a perfect extension of my personality (ask anyone who knows me, my T/A and I are like PB&J), so no matter how much time/money/effort/frustration I spend on it, that first time when you get on the throttle, or when people stop and stare and ask questions about it is what makes it worth it for me. So I'm nowhere near throwing in the towel on this one lol.

OP, for your next one, you should search for a one or two owner, low mileage example with proper documentation as far as maintainence, etc. You will probably have to lay out a decent amount of cash for it, but at least you can be assured it hasn't been thoroughly abused. Also keep in mind that even the newest 4th gen is still 11 yrs old, so things are going to need maintained/replaced on it at one point or another, but at least they won't be big-ticket items, unless you are modifying them of course.

Just my .02

Last edited by LunarWillow; 12-15-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my Trans Am and blew the engine 6 days later. But i was planning to rebuild the engine eventually anyway. I just did it a little sooner than i expected.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by LunarWillow
OP, for your next one, you should search for a one or two owner, low mileage example with proper documentation as far as maintainence, etc. You will probably have to lay out a decent amount of cash for it, but at least you can be assured it hasn't been thoroughly abused. Also keep in mind that even the newest 4th gen is still 11 yrs old, so things are going to need maintained/replaced on it at one point or another, but at least they won't be big-ticket items, unless you are modifying them of course.

Just my .02
Make that .04 as I totally agree. Serious homework needs to be done on any used sports or muscle car purchase. If you can't get a proper answer for a car you are interested in, pass.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

The first time that all of it went was when i was picking my friend up from th hospital, i had the car set on cruise at 70. then out of no where it literally sounded like someone took ball bearings and threw them in a dryer. I honestly think the transmission was fucked up fromthe get go obviously, but i also think that the one they put in was a rebuild piece, unfourtunately i was young and dumb and didnt do any research, and i was also trying to go home on leave. After they put the new tranny in, i got about 2 1/2 hours away from the mechanic shop headed home and the slave cylinder popped and sank to the floor. i finally ended up replacing the clutch and slave after several tries from the shop when i got it back home. The reason i think that the tranny was messed up from the get go, well the "new" rebuilt one, was bc when ever i would put it in neutral you could hear sound coming from the underside of the car from the "tranny" area, it lasted me four years, when i went to yuma az. never had a problem accept water pump and when i had replaced the suspension. Then i came back to the east coast this past august and drove the car around there for about a month and the tranny gave way....now im not going to lie, i def think i f'd up the tranny on the second time, i was coming out of autozone and felt a little frisky, so i gunned it to about 4 grand and then slowed down and the slave cylinder popped and the clutch exploded. The shop i went to replaced the slave cylinder and the clutch. and they got about three miles down the road and the slave cylinder popped again. they think that the front shaft on the transmission is wollowing out the slave cylinders and break them. when i saw the old one and when i saw the new one i could see exactley what he was talking about. So that where i am at now...the only mods i have done to my car are lingenfelter air lid, koni shocks, and strano springs, shpoon lower control arms, and msd wires. I dont want to throw the towel in trust me, and all my buddies keep telling me not to get rid of "the bird" bc it defines me and who i am lol. that and i have been everywhere with this car, both coasts, and blood sweat. I now know more than anything that research is key to any great build and getting quality parts. Thats why the "gangsta lean" frustrated the hell out of me bc i thought it was frame damage and it bugged the hell out of me, and then having to fight with the tranny clutch and slave cylinder for over 6 months. the only reason that was, was bc of me moving around plus no cash at the time. but i know how you guys feel when you say there is nothing more rewarding than getting behind the steering wheel and hearing the exhaust and the motor rev, i just dont want this flame to burn out....imjust so fed up and tired i dont know if i want to deal with it anymore
Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

redfenix 68, that is just a shame that you have had so much aggravation. You must have thousands into that car. What kind of money are you looking at to make it right again? The reason I am asking is because replacing the car is going to cost a lot and no one will be giving you anything for yours 'as is'. If you could get it done right this time there is no reason why you can't enjoy the car for many more years, unless there are things you haven't mentioned. 100k miles is unfortunately the time when so many things start to break. Tough decision......
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL YES to answer your question.

The very first day I took a shuttle with my gf to the southern Utah, (I live in Northern), and everything went perfectly with the sale and what-not.

Around 9pm I'm finally leaving my destination to head back to Salt Lake City.
(And for those of you who don't know Utah, there is NOTHING in central Utah).
It was getting dark and I started to notice my lights getting dim...-unsure of what it was exactly I turned off the radio & heater and they returned to their usual brightness.

After another 30 minutes passed my battery gauge starts dropping to the Orange/Red zone.
One by one I start getting dash lights = TCS OFF, ABS OFF, Service Engine Soon, Check Gauges, etc. -- Then the dash is out.

I decided to just make a mad dash to a small town I could see, going as fast as I could with what little battery I had... hoping it would make it.
In the end I had to pull over on the side of I-15 with temps below freezing.
My gf eventually flagged down a car, (a riced-out honda civic of all people to save me), and got us to the town.

I called a tow truck, we stayed in a hotel, then got it towed to Salt Lake City.

A crazy trip for-sure, and an extra $400-500 spent haha.

Luckily I got the seller to pay for a new alternator.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have problems from day 1?