Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

WS6 Ram Air hood help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WS6 Ram Air hood help

Hi i have a 2000 Trans am and i purchased a Volant cold air intake (not knowing what i was doing) and bolted it on. And of course its more of a Ram Air intake so i have an almost useless Intake that i put on. i also dont have enough dough to buy a factory Ws6 hood so i found a fiberglass hood for $250 and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them because without a ram air hood ive wasted my money.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

With all due respect to the site sponsors and the people that support them and their products, I strongly suggest that you try and save up for a factory hood. A factory hood will almost guarantee minimal if no fitment or breakage issues; that's right, fiberglass hoods often need to get "fitted" to cars-worked on by bodyshops, and they're not as durable as SMC (sheet molded compound) OEM hoods. Do an advanced search and read the countless threads documenting fitment problems as well as breakage and damage from stock hood struts.

You can sometimes find OEM hoods on the cheap in the classifieds or on the 'bay, but expect to spend upwards of a grand including shipping.

If you must go aftermarket, try and use one of the site sponsors, such as VFN for example. Their hoods cost twice as much as what you've found, but from what I read around here they've got the best aftermarket hoods you could hope for. Good luck...
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

I believe I had read somewhere that the OEM WS6 hood was fiberglass as well? It's also possible that you will have fitment problems with an OEM hood, although less likely imo.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

I've read that OEM hoods are made out of something called sheet-moulding-compound, something that is stronger than fiberglass with the same expansion rates as steel.

You could almost guarantee that you won't have fitment issues with an OEM hood; those hoods were made by a machine, not hand-made by an error-prone worker...
Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Teching In

im sorry but i dont want to spend my money on overpriced hoods just because they are sponsored by this website i would rather pend $650 on a lighter hood than $1300 for a stock one
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by atlpepka
im sorry but i dont want to spend my money on overpriced hoods just because they are sponsored by this website i would rather pend $650 on a lighter hood than $1300 for a stock one
The vendors sponsoring this site ARE the ones selling aftermarket hoods for $650 or less. When did anyone say that site sponsors were selling them for $1300? Oh and when you put on your cheaper hood and it doesn't fit right, and/or breaks I promise I won't say I told you so...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Here, this is what you obviously want to here,,,, the hood that 2xs cheaper than anything else out there,, yes its great quality and will fit nicely. No offense but if you bought a ram air kit and thought it was a CAI then ,Im just assuming here, you probally arnt going to do the fitment of your $250 hood so theres another $500-700 for fitment, latch,hinges, prep and paint for your fiberglass hood. Go buy a CAI for $80 off the bay or here if thats what ya want,,,,,, but you know you want a ram air hood

Quick Reply: WS6 Ram Air hood help