Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1996 Pontiac Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Pontiac Firebird

I have a 1996 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L Manual transmission

I just purchased two newer vehicles, so i have let the car sit I have been asking around to sell the vehicle, having found a buyer I wanted to prep the car this morning but i ran into some trouble.

The car has been sitting for about 5-6 months without being driven I jumped the car and it started fine, I let it run for about 20 minutes, and then drove it for another 20 thinking that the alternator should be charged at this point.

Before i turned the vehicle off I popped the hood and noticed that there was smoke coming from the engine, it was not steam it was definitely smoke.

When i had it's last oil change they noted that it had a rear main oil leak.

I asked a mechanic buddy of mine to take a look and he said that it could be the valve cover gaskets leaking onto the exhaust manifold

Seeing as how i want to sell this car, what course of action should i take? Or do you think there is a different solution for this problem ..

I uploaded a picture that shows where i saw the smoke coming from.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails 1996 Pontiac Firebird-smoke.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Since you are selling a 12 year old car the buyer will not expect it to be perfect BUT you should be upfront with him and tell him exactly what you just posted here. We can't be talking big $$$ for this car so he can't beat you down too bad on price. If he tries to then just let him walk. It isn't worth screwing someone, especially during the holiday season, unless you plan on becoming a used car salesman. You will feel better about it. Do the right thing.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Worst case, try taking it to a shop and ask for a 3.8 swap. i did it with my 3.4.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:59 PM

Yeah most def I would not sell it to him without filling him in on the facts, and I was looking to get like 2,800 for it, It has a really nice deck, new tires, and a pretty good system. I was just wondering if this seems like a high priced fix, he said he was still interested but i get the idea he wants me to fix before he buys it, im sure if it is fixable in like the 300 dollar range that he would compensate the rest, I just have no idea what im working with. I just don't quite know the scale of this problem, besides that it could possibly catch on fire. ..

Any input or direction would be great, thanks

I think i have the battery problem fixed, think a cell was dried out, but i still need help with the possible rear main oil leak or the valve cover gaskets leaking onto the exhaust manifold

*The Three cars in the pic are mine, camaro 02 z-28 35th anniv in need of hood paint job
Attached Thumbnails 1996 Pontiac Firebird-dscn0060.jpg   1996 Pontiac Firebird-dscn0058.jpg  
Old 12-27-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hell if you happen to have a contact at a body shop you could offer the firebird up as a trade for the z28's paint job
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I really don't think you ran the engine long enough to know if there is a big problem. May be just oil burning off now that the engine is getting hot. Having sat for a long time any minor leak is going to cause smoke. The leak near the firewall is likely oil burning off the exhaust. Probably go away after running for more time.

Quick Reply: 1996 Pontiac Firebird