Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Twin turbo setup 97 firebird formula

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo setup 97 firebird formula

I just bought twin garrett airesearch turbos and i was wondering if anybody could tell me what would be the best setup for them. I heard something about flipping the exaust manifolds and then flanging them with the turbos but im not sure. If not i can run them the old fashion way. I am also aware that space is an issue. I am familiar with turbos but not with an lt1, if can anyone can help i would sure appriciate it.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

well lets see. you need a better bottom end, lower compression forged pistons and or bigger chamber heads. Fab up the hot side. muey GRANDE injectors. And the ability to tune it. Then a transmission that can handle the hp and torque. and then a rear end to do the same. Oh and a money tree helps

Start shaking...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks ED

Thanks, i figured i needed a better bottom end and a money tree. but as far as the exaust manifolds have you ever heard of flipping them for a twin turbo setup so the flange end is facing the front.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

well you can probably stay on the cheap side of this build, but some stuff just HAS to be bought. as for the bottom end, yeah, but its really not necissary in this part of the build. if you can build it, tune it, then you should start cranking the boost and getting a better bottom end. idk why whenever someone talks about FI someone has to chime in right away and basically say "dump 6 grand into your bottom end, and another 4 into your fuel system"

build it! then start modifying it!
im sure the high compression LT1 will take 5-6 lbs of intercooled boost. well, it should if thats what aftermarket supercharger companies are dishing out. thats ont the stock bottom end.
first off, doesnt the LT1 have a 3 bar MAP sensor off the bat? meaning it will read 2 positive atmospheres and 1 negative. so your computer can read up to 29-PSI and 14.7 vacuum.
your gonna need the fuel system for sure, pump, injectors, regulator. tuning a FI V8 isnt anything that cant be done.
idk about manifolds vs. a tubular shorty header, whatever fits. everything should go fine.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:07 PM

you should look into an STS Turbo setup. There fairly easy to do. Me and a couple buddies are going to do one to his car.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Yup the sts kit would be easier and keep the turbo heat out from under the hood. I didnt say anything about 6000 dollar bottom end but some things would be smart prior to lunching the internals into the turbos and destroying them as well. Injectors defintely. Being able to tune it definitely And i dont think the stock lt1 map reads boost.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo setup 97 firebird formula