Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Electrical Issues Dash/Body Harness Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issues Dash/Body Harness Replacement...

OK here we go, lol...

I am not sure what the hell happened to the inside of the car, but the column is lose, the blinker arm is just screwed up, the blinkers don't work, the high beams don't work, the wipers work but when turned off stay in the up position (they don't lay down)... hmmm.... lets see... what else... when you turn off the car the key comes out and the wheel locks, but the car stay running till you reinsert the key and move the steering wheel around a bit, lol; his happens when you move the steering wheel up and down (tilt).

Ummm whats more.... Well the A/C was blowing hard (not cold, it needs to be charged), but now it is hardly blowing; the A/M radio cuts on and off when it whats to, but if I hit the button to my covert top, it will come on for a while. The little switch under the headlight **** lights up, but nothing seems to come on. On the door, the L/U/D buttons work for the door mirrors, but not the Right. The break light comes on in the wing, but not the main break lights ( I do have reverse light and regular tail lights ).

I think that is it, lol....efff....

Anyways here is my plan... I was going to run down the issues, but I figured that it would be easier to just get a Dash/Body harness as well as a Door harness, more of a Plug and play. My question is, who has replaced this and how much of a PITA will it be? I will be buying the Factory Service Manual, so I will have that, but since I am no electrician , I am sure it will not make it a cake walk regardless, lol...

Also I was told that the Dash/Body harness is YEAR SPECIFIC, OPTION SPECIFIC and TRANSMISSION SPECIFIC. IOW, I have a 98 Trans Am convertible with a M6 (doing the conversion), without traction control (I thought all Trans Am's came with TC), so I will need to get a Dash/Body harness for the SAME SETUP. Is this true!?

Any help in the matter will be greatly appreciated!!! This is really the only thing out of all the issues with this Bird that truly worries me

Well in advance, Thanks guys!

DM