Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

saw a rare 93 prototype car with an interesting dash yesterday

Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default saw a rare 93 prototype car with an interesting dash yesterday

the car was a hardtop T/A w/ a firebird spoiler (i thought that didn't come out till 94 w/ the low spoiler) and had some special plate under the vin and the guy showed me a sticker that said the car wasn't supposed to be sold. somehow he got it without an engine or trans and built it up. the vin was really low, like 82 i think (ie 00082 or however many zero's there were)

here's the weird part (sorry i don't have any pics but i'll put a stock pic up and describe the difference)

the dashboard in front of the steering wheel was totally different than a stock 93-96. the top part right in front of the steering wheel/gauges went about 1/2 of the way out to the windshield and then came back. it was bizarre. i've never seen another like it and i showed the guy my dash and he said he'd never noticed the difference.

I couldn't find a good pic of a stock dash top to modify so i used one of those dash cover designs.

here's the stock one for 93-96

and here's how the guys dash pad looked with the bezel around the gauges extending into the area in light gray where the production dashpad now sits.

has anyone else seen one of these floating around?

*edit* to better show this, i just happened to run across the motorweek 93 preview for the trans am and sure enough, that prototype has it too. it can be seen @ 5:26 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6gBI6Almo

i took the liberty of taking a still shot from that video. here it is.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 06-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:50 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Try to get some pics of the car...especially the unique stuff you've mentioned. I'd like to see it, and I can post it in my sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Try to get some pics of the car...especially the unique stuff you've mentioned. I'd like to see it, and I can post it in my sticky at the top of the forum.
if i see it again somewhere when i have my camera with me i'll try to get a pic of the dash. that still shot i know isn't great because i grabbed it from that youtube vid. FWIW the car in the youtube vid is not the same car i saw since the car in the youtube vid has a raised spoiler, so apparently more than noe of that style dash exists.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant see anything different in that still?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ws6Wicked
cant see anything different in that still?
the point where the dash pad meets the gauge bezel is much further out twords the windshield than a stock 93-02 fbody is. I got a pic of the car at another show i was at a few days ago on my camera phone but it doesn't show it much better either. I haven't uploaded it yet because its on my camera phone and i have messaging blocked. generally i can unblock it and immediatly send a message but for whatever reason i just tried it and its not working right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: saw a rare 93 prototype car with an interesting dash yesterday