Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2010 Phoenix TA

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Phoenix TA

I found this on the first page of High Performance Pontiac November issue I just got yesterday. This a quite off the web page.

Like its mythical namesake that rose from the ashes to a new life, the Trans Am of yesteryear has been born again... the Phoenix T/A. If it is true that good things come to those who wait, then we have surely been rewarded for our patience.
Trans Am Depot is pleased to announce our partnership with designer Kevin Morgan in turning a three-year dream into reality. We, like many of you, have lusted over Kevin's retro interpretation of the '77 - '78 Trans Am based on the 2010 Camaro platform. We began early last year discussing the idea of how we might work together to bring this vision to life.
Currently, we are completing a one-off Kevin Morgan "Trans Am" Concept, which we intend to unveil at the 2009 Trans Am Nationals. The concept will be followed by the first production conversion later this year. It will vary from the concept car but will be an exact version of the conversion kits we will hope to be offering this fall. We are working closely with a Detroit auto design firm to bring this kit to market. We will be offering everything from the body conversion only to the limited Phoenix Edition. The kits will be available as an installed conversion only. Order details, pricing and delivery information will be coming soon. If you are interested in having a conversion performed on your Camaro or purchasing a turn-key conversion from Trans Am Depot. Go to www.transamdepot.com for more
Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this in the T/A nationals thread after going to the link that someone provided. it's not much of a view but it does show the front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5afm...layer_embedded
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Still not a Firebird or a Trans Am in my book...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rhin
still not a firebird or a trans am in my book...
x2...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
x2...
X3 for me. It's just a freakin' camaro in a costume!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, it still looks good and can't wait to see it in person at the TA Nationals, but it is what it is. Have to give props to the people and effort behind it as well. Just not for me at all........
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
9 Second Club

Thats all the 4 gen trans ams are. Mechanical wise and everything else they are the same as a camaro
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

To me the Trans Am has always been a average joes car... meaning that anyone can get one, you dont have to be a high paid executive a big law firm or something... i know there would be no way i can/could ever afford a vet, Beamer, etc, so the F bod is a car for me.

with the Phoniex, it will become a car that only a select few will be able to get, which to me is not what the TA is, was, or ever should be. The rich are already getting our old birds that are now through the roof in prices for a decent one. (ever been to the TA nats....?,, kinda depressing, and no offence, but some of those guys remind me of the classic Viper owner, not that all are that way, but 8 out of 10 i run into think there **** dosnt stink)

Although i do respect that the good folks are trying to keep the TA alive, it is blasphemous to the true TA, because as mentioned,, its a camaro, no matter what you do to it.

Please dont think im bashing, cause im not, PLEASE,, im not trying to start a pissing match here....and i do think its neat that there are companies trying there best to keep our beloved TA alive (Year One, ASC, Trans Am Depot) i have much repsect for each,, but these cars they are making are no longer for the average joe, which to me is the true persona of any F body owner.

just an average Joe's .02

Wayne
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by penningta
Thats all the 4 gen trans ams are. Mechanical wise and everything else they are the same as a camaro
You could say the same for third gens as well. The difference is my titles (yes I own three 4th gens) say Pontiac Firebird. Those of us who bought Firebirds paid for the Pontiac brand and namesake. A dressed up Camaro, though mechanically, frame and unibody-wise are the same, lack the necessary legal paperwork to be a Firebird, let Alone a Trans Am.

I could put a body kit on one of my projects, and call it a Honda Accura. Even if it looked like an Accura, which I would never do, it still would never be nothing more than a Firebird with a body kit and stickers. Just like that will never be anything more than a Camaro with a body kit and stickers, and thats on the verge of matching my definition of rice...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

I kinda think its cool but I am not crazy on there front end design, I like the other designs Mr. Morgan came up with. The price is probably gonna be crazy as well. And I wonder about warranty???? I still think the 4th Gen looks better anyway.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhin
You could say the same for third gens as well. The difference is my titles (yes I own three 4th gens) say Pontiac Firebird. Those of us who bought Firebirds paid for the Pontiac brand and namesake. A dressed up Camaro, though mechanically, frame and unibody-wise are the same, lack the necessary legal paperwork to be a Firebird, let Alone a Trans Am.

I could put a body kit on one of my projects, and call it a Honda Accura. Even if it looked like an Accura, which I would never do, it still would never be nothing more than a Firebird with a body kit and stickers. Just like that will never be anything more than a Camaro with a body kit and stickers, and thats on the verge of matching my definition of rice...
Actually i would say the 3rd gen is less different than the 4th gen. IIRC camaro doors are perfectly interchangeable with firebird doors. not so on a 4th gen. also the interior dash and door panels are pretty similar on a 3rd gen. not so on a 4th gen (especially a 93-96 when the camaro had the wannabe C4 dash, lol)
Old 08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Launching!

here is concept art from this guys site. This one I like!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:11 PM

I think I would definitely take that over a new Camaro. Not that there is a huge difference but just enough.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't even call it a Trans Am, it's a "concept" i.e wanna be car.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't be able to offer it as a "Trans Am" as they don't have the rights to the name. (unless they worked a lucrative deal with the SCCA) So they will only be able to supply the production models with either no decals or just something saying "Phoenix" If you want it to be a Trans Am you will have to purchase some repro decals to put on the car.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Sweet! Definately looks good. My girlfriend was telling me all about this the other day since Kevin Morgan is her cousin. It will be good to see that at least a concept will make it to the road even though they won't be able to be produced.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

So let me get this straight:

Will my Car Title and Insurance Card state that its a Chevy Trans AM or will it say Chevy Camaro?

Thought so....
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by knappbunch
here is concept art from this guys site. This one I like!

thats my fav! i LOVE 70-72 trans ams. my tat is the 73 hood bird, first year it came out!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No shaker on the hood or arrowhead emblem on the front? Well it is a Camaro Am anyways.....
Old 08-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

any news on it?

Quick Reply: 2010 Phoenix TA