See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

oil pump replacement, 1997 T/A LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump replacement, 1997 T/A LT1

Oil pressure has been dropping in my new to me '97 T/A. I haven't put a pressure meter on it yet to see if it is sending unit. But if the s/u is good, do you have to pull the motor to change out the oil pump? This is what I'm being told. I was under the impression you only had to raise the motor a few inches to gain access. And if I wanted/need to replace crank bearings, should I pull the motor anyway?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the LS1 site!

It’d be a good idea to create a signature with a few details about your ride.

How many miles on this engine? Smoking, knocking, losing oil?

Why is your oil pressure dropping? Is it all the time or only when hot at in-gear idle? You may simply have a worn oil pump and a new one will fix it. The best one to use (as Melling pumps have had some issues) is the original stock GM pump from GM.

You’ll be able to access the oil pump by raising the engine off the mounts a few inches and pulling the oil pan. There is a factory stamped steel oil windage tray that may have cracks around the bolt mounting holes so it would probably be a good idea to have a new one at the ready to install. While you're at it, install some poly motor mounts.

If you think you’re up to it, you can pull the main caps and change the bearings. You'll need to pull all the caps and somehow unseat the crank so you can get the uppers out. Could be tough. Make sure you do it right!

The stock pump is 93442037.

The windage tray is 12554816 (it's like less than 10 bucks so just get it).
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the oil is sludged up, this could cause the problem also. Like if you just bought the car and the previous owner didn't change the oil at regular intervals-will cause sludge and you driving it a lot will break it loose and clog up the oil pump.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey cambirdracing - the oil seemed ok, good color and no sludge on the topside from what I could tell when I first checked out the car.

And thanks Paul - motor has 155K which is why I was asking also about the bearings. The OP drops to nothing at idle in gear and the idiot light comes on; no smoke but lifter noise if you don't keep the idle up. I appreciate the numbers and advice, will heed.

Quick Reply: oil pump replacement, 1997 T/A LT1