Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Just bought a 02 ws6... Did I do good

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just bought a 02 ws6... Did I do good

I'm super pumped!! I owned a 2001 ws6 back 10 years ago and had to sell it... I've missed that car everyday since. I just bought a black 2002 ws6 black interior m6 with only 35,000 miles bone stock and mint as mint can be for $13,000 ... I feel like I stole the car. Did I do good? Seems like these cars are going up in value so I really don't want to diminsh the value by making a race car. Do you think adding a borla exhaust and some bolt ons would hurt the value much?

I'm pumped to be back in the club... Let me know if any of you from ohio!!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a great price to me, those miles in that condition around me in cali could fetch around 20k or so to the right person so ya thats a good price. As for the exhaust I don't feel it will hurt the collectability at all. If you want to keep it til its a classic like me just have keep the original exhaust pipes and mufflers stored away so they can be reattached when you want to sell it later on. Since its YOUR car now do what YOU want to it, just keep originals and don't get too crazy lol.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds about right from what I've seen on here.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Stock 6 speeds are getting tougher to find each and every month that goes by. A low mileage example is even tougher. Getting such a car with a clean title and 'no issues' with just one or two owners is getting to be a rarity. Getting a WS6 as described for under $15,000 is doing quite well.
As far as mods, if you are thinking re-sale in a short period of time, leave it alone. If you plan on keeping the WS6 for years (or plan to anyway) do what you like. The miles will be adding up and the value going down most likely anyway. Enjoy it for yourself, not for the future owner. Who knows what the market will bear in the future as far as value. I've just put $10k into a collector car I own with no expectations of getting that money back. I might get some of it back but I did it for myself, for shows and cruising and pride of ownership. Whatever it sells for years down the road, oh well. That isn't crazy money to spend when brand new cars driven off the dealer lot easily lose that amount in 2 years or so. The key is to keep the car for years if putting serious $$ into it. It all averages out well in the long run. It would hurt a lot if it became necessary to sell just months down the road. That's the difference.
Congratulations on the purchase!
The following users liked this post:
budsac1 (02-01-2020)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a great price for a clean unmolested low mile WS6, congrats!

Do what you want to the car and enjoy it, keep all your original parts and don't sweat the "lost" value of the car.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys... Yea its technically a one owner car. I bought it from a guy thats brother just passed away. His brother was a huge car buff and had a ton of cars.. This was one of them. I looked under it after the shipper dropped it off last night and it looks brand new!!! The guy said his brother never drove it in the rain let alone the snow. I'm buffing it out this weekend and then I'll post pics. I never plan on letting go of this one

The only thing I can find wrong with it is that it has the typical door panel cracks ... You think any company will ever come out with refab ones?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
If you plan on keeping the WS6 for years (or plan to anyway) do what you like. The miles will be adding up and the value going down most likely anyway. Enjoy it for yourself, not for the future owner. Who knows what the market will bear in the future as far as value. I've just put $10k into a collector car I own with no expectations of getting that money back. I might get some of it back but I did it for myself, for shows and cruising and pride of ownership. Whatever it sells for years down the road, oh well. That isn't crazy money to spend when brand new cars driven off the dealer lot easily lose that amount in 2 years or so. The key is to keep the car for years if putting serious $$ into it. It all averages out well in the long run. It would hurt a lot if it became necessary to sell just months down the road. That's the difference.
Congratulations on the purchase!
This is an important concept. Everyone wants to pay a fair (or better) price at the time of purchase, myself included, but after that I don't ever concern myself with value again until/unless such a time that I no longer want the car. If you're the type who flips cars quickly, then concerns over value are MUCH more significant because one can go broke very quickly if they make a habit of losing money in the short term on a regular basis. Of the four cars I currently own, two of them have been with me for over 10 years, so it would have been a waste for me to worry about their future value at the time of purchase since nobody can accurately predict value that far into the future.

So I guess the answer is, how long do you plan to keep the car? If you're going to sell it in the next year or two and you don't want to lose anything, then keep it at stock or minor bolt-on level because those things aren't too expensive, aren't big turn-offs to most buyers, and can be removed and resold separately if you choose to sell the car as "stock" instead. If you plan to keep the car for 10-20 years, then do whatever you want because there is NO point in worrying about its value that far along.

FWIW, I've kept my '98 at bolt-on level for 10+ years now not because I'm concerned with value or future collectability (it's a 17k mile 97-point car, but only a Z28 so not really worth much at all), but because I've been down the path of heavily modded and raced 4th gens before and just didn't want those hassles with this car; if I was going to do that again I'd get another one with higher miles and in lesser condition. So the decision not to modify this car has been due to preference rather than concerns over value.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you paid about 1000 less then where it should be, given the time of year I'd say you did right
Old 02-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Launching!

I think you got a hell of a deal. Congrats. Now lets see some pics.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Here for pics
Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really enjoy reading non judgemental threads like this one. That's a great find op! I feel like many of us had F body's years ago and ended up with them again. What a great feeling! Definitely brings back memories at times.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Teching In

From the results of my search thus far, you did very well. I'd jump right on that if I found one that low miles with M6 and that price.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

You did very well !! I paid $12,900 for a near perfect 2002 WS6 with 58,000 miles and I thought I stole it...

As far as value goes, I mod it to my liking as I'm the one driving it, just do your research - bolt-on parts can be easily reversed. Heck I still have my stock heads/cam and bolt on stock parts and can reverse it to stock and no one would know the difference.

WS6 cars are not made anymore and hold value however they will never go up like classic cars in my opinion. Just look at older limited production Vipers, they hold values but still drop slightly as time goes on. Personally, I keep my mileage down and keep it super clean but I'm still going to drive and enjoy my car.

Congrats on your car and enjoy !!

Last edited by BBATCAR; 03-01-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM

I just bought a 99 TA w/A4 with 36K on it for 12K. Sound like you got a good deal!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats! I did the same as you did. I bought a new 2001 WS6, got rid of it like a dummy. Then several years later found a 2002 one owner low miles. Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

+1 on the good find !! I got my 02 ramair m6 brand new. I've been blessed to have put on everyone of the 103,000+ miles on it myself. Luckily, for the past 2 years, it's been a nice weather only car. I agree with those who say make it your own - drive it - enjoy it - modify it if you want. Mine stayed basically stock for a very long time only b/c I had to depend on it daily. During that time I fixed a bunch of stuff that typically goes wrong with our cars ( ie: sailpanel, DRL's, tail lights, door panels, pwr streering cooler etc.). Now it's got a bunch of bolt-ons, killer stereo, tuned and others. Bottom line; do what YOU WANT to it, just don't trash it.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys... I'm finishing up detailing her now and i'll post pictures when i'm done. Looks like it will actually be a nice week in Ohio coming up
Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blasius02
Thanks guys... I'm finishing up detailing her now and i'll post pictures when i'm done. Looks like it will actually be a nice week in Ohio coming up
Hurry up!!! we wanna see this thing lol
Old 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a teaser for y'all

Old 03-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Launching!

wow, that's clean!

Quick Reply: Just bought a 02 ws6... Did I do good