Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Im a Noob! Is this car a good deal?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im a Noob! Is this car a good deal?

Looking at a 2001 Trans Am that a friend is selling. Its a girl who has owned it since new(got it as a HS graduation rpesent). She doesnt hot rod, her dad makes her get all of maintenance done on time, etc. She isnt like my wife and driving 8500 miles on an oil change. I've known this girl ever since she got the car and she babies it.

That being said its a non-WS6 TA, Manual tranny, 94k miles, black on black, with t-tops. She just had a new starter and new brakes put on it, plugs, wires, & a fuel pump.

She said that the guys at an inspection shop said that she has a tiny coolant leak, but she doesnt know where its coming from. I am going to look at the car on Saturday to figure out if its just a hose or the radiator. She also said that she thinks that the brakes are making an odd sound that is very very quiet. She took it to a mechanic and he looked at all 4 wheels and said that everything looks perfect and he didnt hear or feel anything while he drove it. Does anyone know of any issues with the brakes on this year model? Either way, I am not a gear head, but I can turn a wrench and do almost any basic maintenance on a vehicle, so neither of these issues really scare me.

All that being said, the car is impeccable and has a pretty awesome sound system in it too. She just wants to get a new car, and I am thinking about either keeping this around as a 2nd vehicle to goof around in on the weekends or just turn around and sell it as a flip. She wants $5k for it, but she will sell it to me for a little less.

I have watched a bunch of ebay ads, looked at craigslist, autotrader, and cars.com.....and similar cars seem to be going for $8k or so. Is this a very safe purchase for a flip (just in case i get home with it and my wife says SELL IT!). Are there any cheap and easy mods that will boost the sale price or shorten the time that it takes to sell it? I was thinking about finding some Z06 wheels, or something similarly cheap and easy.

Anyways, please reply to the thread or shoot me an email at pjleslie03@aol.com. I appreciate any and all help.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

we are going to need to see a picture of this girl you speak of... o ya, and the car of course!

sounds like an ok deal to me...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM

I will put it to you this way....at my wedding, I was asked about 20 times by my friends "dude.....who's that blonde with the huge *****?". To which I replied...."She's already taken". I guess the same goes here. She is pretty hot when she gets dolled up. Fun to party with too.

Just figured I would check in with some people who know these vehicles better than me. I dont have any pics, but I will try to raid her facebook. She probably has some on there.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

is this a v6?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I didnt think the Trans Am came without a 5.7L. Someone correct me if I am wrong. This car is a V8.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjleslie03
Looking at a 2001 Trans Am...
Originally Posted by WS6-R
is this a v6?
...no...

it's a great deal OP. Buy it now.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt think the trans am came without a 5.7l. Someone correct me if i am wrong. This car is a v8.
89 ta...:d
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

You almost can't go wrong for $5,000 or even less. Put a few grand into it and you are still doing very well. If the car was abused it would be a different story but that apparently isn't the case here.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you dont buy it at that price, you are crazy. you can turn it around for an easy 2-3k
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by WSsick
if you dont buy it at that price, you are crazy. you can turn it around for an easy 2-3k
My thoughts exactly! I found some of the split 5 star Z06 wheels & tires for under $1k and I was going to lower it 1.25" with new springs.....then drive the dog **** out of it, and sell it. I figure those 2 mods should get me at least $8k+ out of it.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Yup...buy it.

My thoughts exactly! I found some of the split 5 star Z06 wheels & tires for under $1k and I was going to lower it 1.25" with new springs.....then drive the dog **** out of it, and sell it. I figure those 2 mods should get me at least $8k+ out of it.
If you're going to flip it...flip it. Don't go putting money into the car fixing things that aren't broken because you think it'll help you sell it for a few bucks more. It's got 94k miles...you aren't going to make a mint on it when you sell (though you should easily make at least a couple grand).
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by johnlv6
Yup...buy it.

If you're going to flip it...flip it. Don't go putting money into the car fixing things that aren't broken because you think it'll help you sell it for a few bucks more. It's got 94k miles...you aren't going to make a mint on it when you sell (though you should easily make at least a couple grand).
Whoa....i assumed there was a filter that would censor my cursing. Not sure if this is a family friendly forum.....my bad.

Anyways, I wouldnt mind driving it a little bit. Just towying around on the weekends or drive it to work every once in a while on nice days with the t-tops off. And cmon....I cant roll up all stock. Thats just ghey!

But you're right....if I am just going to flip it, I will probably just put it on autotrader and craigslist immediately. Just depends on the wife's reaction when she hears the rumble in the driveway. Im pretty much going to be wearing a helmet just in case she starts throwing stuff at me.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy it for sure! But putting money into parts is a bad idea. You seldom get out of a car what you put into it in parts. Learned that one the hard way.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Whoa....i assumed there was a filter that would censor my cursing. Not sure if this is a family friendly forum.....my bad.

Anyways, I wouldnt mind driving it a little bit. Just towying around on the weekends or drive it to work every once in a while on nice days with the t-tops off. And cmon....I cant roll up all stock. Thats just ghey!

But you're right....if I am just going to flip it, I will probably just put it on autotrader and craigslist immediately. Just depends on the wife's reaction when she hears the rumble in the driveway. Im pretty much going to be wearing a helmet just in case she starts throwing stuff at me.
They're fun cars. If the boss doesn't mind having it around, it would be worth keeping (though selling it would be a good opportunity to make/save a few bucks). I'd at least hang onto it for a few months so you don't have to explain to your friend that the only reason you bought it was so that you could make a buck (she may have given you that price to cut you a deal).
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnlv6
They're fun cars. If the boss doesn't mind having it around, it would be worth keeping (though selling it would be a good opportunity to make/save a few bucks). I'd at least hang onto it for a few months so you don't have to explain to your friend that the only reason you bought it was so that you could make a buck (she may have given you that price to cut you a deal).
Yeah, I kinda feel bad about that part. Honestly, she would have offered it to anyone for that price though. She said she was going to put it on craigslist asking $5k, but she'd rather sell it to someone that has a little appreciation for a cool car, so she emailed me first. So its not like I am negotiating her down....she actually offered to sell it to me for cheaper, but I would realy just be taking advantage and Im not gonna do that. She literally would come bail me outta jail at 4am without a question....shes THAT cool.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:40 PM

On another note, anyone know how to tell if a set of wheels are some knock off Z06 wheels or the real thing?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

buy it !
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm still waiting for pictures...
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say buy it. And fixing brake issues isn't that big of a deal. I'm willing to bet they aren't bedded in properly.

Search this Thread