Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What to look for when buying a WS6??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for when buying a WS6??

So I checked out this WS6 today.

2002 nbm WS6, 58k miles, Manual transmission. all options. he is asking 11k firm.
it has pacesetter headers,gmmg chambered exhaust. ls7 clutch.

The Service engine light is on and he says it came on reading something about the clutch after he installed a "tick clutch slave" or something like that.
What should i do to make sure this is legit???

also the car seats were missing in the back. he said he took them out because nobody really sat in them. but he could always put them back in for me. this didnt make sense, why take them out to begin with, why not just leave them in there?

what should i look for to make sure its a real ws6?

bottom line...i just wanna make sure i'm not getting a crappy deal, or being lied to.

Thoughts on what to look for or questions to ask????
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Check for the "WS6" RPO code on the driver's door decal.

Definately get the rear seats installed.

Take the car to AutoZone & have the codes checked for the SES light.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Plenty of cars out there and plenty of sellers out there waiting to hear from you about their 'no-issues, no stories' cars. Why waste your time on this questionable one? I wouldn't even bother after his lame responses to your valid questions. Who needs excuses about why something is wrong or out of place?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably took the seats out to save weight for racing or put in a sub box, etc.
I don't know how a slave cylinder can cause an SES, but like Johnny B said, just take it to AutoZone and have the codes read.

Since it has headers, does it still have cats? In some states you can't register a car or renew registration if it won't pass an emissions inspection. An SES light for any reason is an automatic fail.

If something smells fishy, walk away. It took me a long time to find my 2000 TA because I wanted one that was unmodded, low-ish mileage, and it had to be NBM M6 with tan interior. That really limited my options. But after a while I finally found what I was looking for in my budget and my car is virtually exactly as I would have ordered it had I bought it new.

It's worth waiting to get exactly what you want.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a WS6??