Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Opinions/price on buying this used firebird?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions/price on buying this used firebird?

I'm looking to get a firebird/camaro in the next week or so.

There is one at a used car dealership about an hour away I plan on checking out tomorrow.

2002 firebird.
M6, 72k miles.
It is listed as a trans-am, but doesn't have a ram air hood??
It looks to be in good condition from pictures.

It is listed for 12k, what would you guys be willing to pay assuming it is in good condition?

The carfax comes back clean, but shows 4 owners, and it being used as a lease vehicle for a month, then auctioned as a fleet vehicle, and auctioned again a month later. Should this raise red flags?

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W
Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

This probably should be posted in the "What is it worth" section of the classified section but in the meantime I personally feel $12,000 is too much for that car. I don't like the fact that it has had 4 owners, and while 72k miles is not a lot it isn't low mileage either. Maintenance is one component of my concern as there probably is no history on that. You may need to change every single fluid in that car, from dexcool to the rear end, brake fluid, power steering fluid. That all is $$$. How are the tires, brakes, clutch, tranny, door panels (cracks?), and the headlight motors? Get it if the price is right, but definitely lower than $12k so you have room for repairs and maintenance. You don't want to have $14,000 into that car by year's end. You would take amajor hit if you needed to sell in a hurry. By the way, the regular or base T/A does not have a ram air hood. Same engine so don't worry about that.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

If you don't know the difference between a Firebird and a Trans Am, you need to do a lot more research before you buy
Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
If you don't know the difference between a Firebird and a Trans Am, you need to do a lot more research before you buy
Exactly! Find someone in your area who knows what to look for. For $12k, you can get a WS6 Trans Am. the one in the picture is a stock/base Trans Am.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As already said 12k is too much. Looks like a decent sized small town dealer, so it's crapshoot on haggling. The price is high just like a large dealer, but they probably won't budge more that 500 bucks on a car this is worth only 9k IMO.

These guys generally don't like to just auction off cars like this when they don't sell immediately as they bring in more foot traffic. You'll probably see this same car sitting there this time next year, haggle then.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. It looks like I might just get a beater car, and then when I'm in Texas for school in the fall I will try and find one down there when I'm not so pressed for time buying a car.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

good idea. buying a car in a rush is never smart. wait and get exactly what you want without overpaying.

Search this Thread