Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Replacing my compressor, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my compressor, help!

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Firebird v6. I haven't had A/C for at least a year now and I've finally decided to address the problem. My shop said the culprit is a leak in the compressor, so I bought a new compressor and receiver/drier. The R/D went in beautifully, but I'm having a heck of a time taking out the old compressor. This is probably one of those things that's REALLY easy once you've done it once, but I could use some advice this time around. I know the Suction and Discharge lines are connected to the back of the compressor with one bolt. I've found the bolt, but it's really hard to get to, and I'm not entirely sure I can get the wrench down there and there's no access from beneath the car. Are there other parts I need to remove to access this bolt, as well as the bolts on the rear compressor bracket? I can't even see those bolts, so I'm at a loss. If anyone's come across a photo tutorial of this process, that would be hugely helpful. I'm happy to answer more questions if I've missed some crucial piece of information.

Thanks for the help in advance?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I was gonna post a detailed thing but then I saw you have a V6. Probably why nobodies responded.

On a V8 car, remove the sway bar, un-bolt the compressor from the engine and un-do the lines when it's half way out.

I hope this might help you.