Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New member to the family

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New member to the family

I'm not a new member and have been hanging around for quite a while reading up and building a 1989 LSx Formula, but now I have an actual 4th gen!

I recently through a very bizarre and unfortunate series of events ended up with a 1999 Formula. Basically the car was totaled by the insurance company immediately after they saw it, my brother decided to buy it back rather than let it get scrapped. I then put about 500 into it plus some free parts I acquired and brought it back to life.

This car may be familiar to some of you:

And now she is back to this:

The car was already decently modded, It has Mac mids, ORY, Dynomax dump, Taylor wires, TR55 plugs, MTI lid, Tune, Eibach prokit, and ZR1s.

It just recently got a STB/SFC and has BLS projectors on the way along with 6LE's amp rack and double din bezel...might just have a LS6 intake and PTB sitting around for it too...

All in all I don't think it's too bad for having gone through the woods, then going under surgery in my parents driveway. She still has a few dents that need attention, but I definitely like the 4th gens "updated" feel compared to my 3rd gen.

I also find it a bit funny that my 1989 Formula is white, and my 1999 Formula is black, bit of a yin and yang going on.

Just thought i'd share, let me know what you think. What mods do the 1999 models usually respond best to? I've heard that the oil pump might start showing issues, and I know the 98/98 came with the weaker rod bolts.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Looks great man, love to see a car brought back to life like that! Mine is a '99 too (WS6) with many of the same bolt-on's. LS6 intake & ported throttle body are definitely worth it, especially if you already have them laying around!

Is your car A4 or M6? If it's A4, a good stall is a must. Out of everything I've done so far, that is by far & away the best single thing I've done to my car! Only wish I would have gone with 3600 instead of the 3200.

I actually hadn't heard that our rod bolts are weaker (98-99)? I'm getting ready to do a cam swap (with all other supporting mods), so that's something I'm gonna check in to before I set my shift points too high.

Anyway, congrats, looks great!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah if you are tearing into it for a cam, I'd go ahead and do rod bolts (doing that on my 1989). I really wish I knew what all was done to this car, but I've had a couple people suggest it might be stealth cammed. It's has a 2.73 LSD rear but it will light them up from a roll through 1st/2nd. It is an A4 though, It might stay pretty stockish other than bolt ons for a while since it will be the DD.

I may put the LS6/PTB on tomorrow if I get bored, it will be borrowed from my currently "under the knife" 500rwhp LSx build. I will likely end up getting a fast for that one anyway.

I don't believe mine is stalled, though I suppose that would account for the ferocity if it is, I am going to look around for signs of "modding" tomorrow while I have some light. But a buddy just bought a 2002 Z28 all stock with 241 heads, LS6 intake, and stock otherwise - he says his car just doesn't pull near as hard as the Formula. So it's got me suspicious.

It doesn't feel that fast to me, but I am used to driving my 3rd gen with a cammed LQ4, stalled auto, and 3.73 lol

Quick Reply: New member to the family