Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Aligning the headlamp assembly as a whole?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aligning the headlamp assembly as a whole?

I don't know if anyone has had this happen or what not but I've found after replacing my bulbs that to my dismay my car has a misaligned headlamp assembly.

I'm talking the whole thing.

I have no idea how the body shop screwed this up when they put the car back together for the previous owner post accident in '05 (Bumper, Fender, and culprit headlamp assy from what I can tell..) but they did.

I've also noticed an odd alignment gap on my hood and fender so it appears that the panels themselves may not be on right. The car is straight and was measured to confirm so. I can get pics up in the next few days of the areas and the 'lazy eye' (it's actually kinda funny seeing it lit up) but I want to know if this is just best left to a body shop to pull off the panels and realign everything.

Should also mention the misalignment has since gouged a good slice into my front fascia due to extreme rubbing and dented the fender due to flexing. Thank god for fiberglass and plastic but being the 'it's gotta look right..' kinda person it still irks me.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres got to be adjustments to the headlight unit,,maybe shimming them,sounds like you accidentally loosened them when doing the headlights???
Old 10-17-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are square holes that allow movement to align with the fender hood and bumper.
Loosen the bolts and nuts up and move it to fit,tighten then align the headlights themselves. Doing it in any other sequence means you will redo the final adjustment.
Are the plastic caps still intact on the stops,and are the stop screws intact?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look at the following thread I found when I was looking to do the same thing to my Firebird after installing a new hood this past Winter.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...c-problem.html

What I gather is, there may be a small amount of adjustment Up and Down (the Square Holes) with the entire Headlight Assembly, but as for any lateral movement we seem to be SOL.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Zabo
Should also mention the misalignment has since gouged a good slice into my front fascia due to extreme rubbing and dented the fender due to flexing. Thank god for fiberglass and plastic but being the 'it's gotta look right..' kinda person it still irks me.
This is common. Has been this way for me since coming from the factory. The bumper cover is poorly supported under the headlights and flexes. Someday, I'll make a special frame to stiffen it up...

Quick Reply: Aligning the headlamp assembly as a whole?