Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

99 Trans Am with alternator problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Trans Am with alternator problems, please help!

I have read as many post as i can trying to figure mine out, and im getting frustrated now lol. While driving one day i noticed my volts were around like 10 so i continue to drive because i was on my way home and almost there. Before i got there the battery died but i was able to keep going and made it there. took the alternator out and advanced tested it. It works perfect. My alternator wiring harness has 3 wires coming out but 2 of the wires seem to have been cut way to short and the other 1 was connected to the main harness.
Ive tried a new lead from the battery and it didnt help. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you keep it going if the battery is dead and the alt. doesnt work ? sounds like wiring from the alt. maybe bad not to the battery but somewhere elese on the harness from the alt. check where the cuts are at.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is only 1 wire to the alternator. The exciter wire, it should be red. If the car runs with the alternator the problem is the battery or the wiring to the battery.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a grounded cell in the battery. Take the battery in to get it tested. Better yet, get your car running and take it to a Sears auto center and tell em you want the "Die Hard" service and to check the battery, alternator, starter AND wiring. It's $15. Don't ferget to get the print out (if their machine will print it) or at least make sure the tech notes it in the comments on the TPOS so it shows up on your white final copy.

Quick Reply: 99 Trans Am with alternator problems, please help!