Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Sealed Beam projectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Sealed Beam projectors

Has anyone ever heard of a company called Hamsar?
If you do a search, theyr a company that makes lighting products.
I saw a few intersting products there that I think would work in our cars.
Im trying to do an HID conversion and dont just wana throw in some bulbs into some standard housings.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I can't view the site right now, what's the price?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Those lights are a little to big, firebirds take 4701 and 4703 which measure 150x92mm. The Hamsar looks to be a 165mm light.

If someone wants to try it out anyhow, it looks like they are about $1000 for a pair of the HID lows only.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rectangle.html - look for the 4656 replacement light, they have bi-xenon options also.

The same company also makes a LED 4656 replacement.

http://www.hamsar.com/Content/EN/Products_New.aspx
http://www.hamsar.com/images/New_Pro...076-detail.pdf

You will want to do some very specific measuring of the depth, there isn't much room to spare behind the light when they are folded down...if you can figure out how to fit them in there anyhow.

We have a sponsor that created a HID Projector replacement setup for our cars, here is one of the threads for the 4th gen firebirds.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-g...oliday-gp.html
Old 12-13-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Yeah I also just realized the 165mm is for 93-97 Firebirds. Might be a decent cheaper alternative to try out. Even though the BLS lights looks amazing, for the right price those Hamsars might be worth a shot..

I looked they don't offer a 150mm version
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

The BLS lights are the best option PERIOD. I have researched off and on for the past 5 years, i have tried a few different setups and the BLS kit is better by far, than anything else out there. Anything that you can think up to make it better...won't fit. Seriously, it's the best option. You can't use OEM HID projectors from anything, the Valeo projector is the smallest one and it won't fit (too long, when the lights fold down there isn't enough room). They found a projector short enough to fit and it's made by hella so the lens and cutoff are good, and then they found a manufacturer that rebases bulbs with a focal point close enough to where it is supposed to be to have a nice pattern on the ground without really bad hot spots. I had a cheap projector setup and i put some rebased hid bulbs in them and the hot spots were disgusting, i couldn't drive the car at night b/c i was embarrassed of how they looked on the ground.

Putting a HID bulb into a reflector housing that wasn't designed for HID's is foolish, the pattern is horrible. I tried it, and i had a S500 back in 99 with HID's so i know the pattern for a reflector housing HID light can be good. If the light wasn't designed, even with a retrofitted D2R bulb with the shield on it...the pattern sucks and it scatters really bad.

woosah, i'm out before i need to take a drink, peace

P.S. BLS has incredible customer service.

edit: When i get some spare time i'll take some video from a Firebird with the BLS kit, a C6Z and a C63 so everyone can see how good the BLS kit is compared to OEM setups. Sometimes i feel like it is better that the vette and benz...but i can't drive them all at once and i rarely park one car just to leave in another, so i don't really know.

Last edited by kwiker; 12-13-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: see post
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah.. Nobody was doubting the BLS kit at all. I believe they are amazing. The point was determining if an unknown/unfamous cheaper alternative might be worth taking a look at. I've done my research on lights, and maybe will own some BLS some day, but I've never seen the ones OP posted until now. Might be good for the LT1 guys since they're 165mm. Maybe a cheaper alternative to look into.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, i was just trying to answer some common questions before they get asked for anyone who reads the thread later and really explain why the BLS kit is the only option right now for the 4th gen guys. I'm not sure about the 3rd gen cars and what they need to be aware of, i think BLS is working on or has already developed a kit for them as well...if they are interested.

Any big baller 3rd gen owners wanna shell out a kitten to see if one of these options are any good?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GMRL
Has anyone ever heard of a company called Hamsar?
If you do a search, theyr a company that makes lighting products.
I saw a few intersting products there that I think would work in our cars.
Im trying to do an HID conversion and dont just wana throw in some bulbs into some standard housings.

Before we started offering projector kits for 93-02 Birds, we checked out these housings. They look good in the picture but I haven't seen anyone drop the $1k on these to see how they really work. Output could be garbage but I haven't seen them in action so I couldn't say for sure.

These are 165mm and as mentioned, they won't work for 98-02 Birds. For the 93-97 Birds, these run far too deep to allow the headlight housing to go up/down. These look like a better option for 3rd gen Camaros. Based on the cost, I wasn't willing to take a chance.

Originally Posted by kwiker
The BLS lights are the best option PERIOD. I have researched off and on for the past 5 years, i have tried a few different setups and the BLS kit is better by far, than anything else out there. Anything that you can think up to make it better...won't fit. Seriously, it's the best option. You can't use OEM HID projectors from anything, the Valeo projector is the smallest one and it won't fit (too long, when the lights fold down there isn't enough room). They found a projector short enough to fit and it's made by hella so the lens and cutoff are good, and then they found a manufacturer that rebases bulbs with a focal point close enough to where it is supposed to be to have a nice pattern on the ground without really bad hot spots. I had a cheap projector setup and i put some rebased hid bulbs in them and the hot spots were disgusting, i couldn't drive the car at night b/c i was embarrassed of how they looked on the ground.

Putting a HID bulb into a reflector housing that wasn't designed for HID's is foolish, the pattern is horrible. I tried it, and i had a S500 back in 99 with HID's so i know the pattern for a reflector housing HID light can be good. If the light wasn't designed, even with a retrofitted D2R bulb with the shield on it...the pattern sucks and it scatters really bad.

woosah, i'm out before i need to take a drink, peace

P.S. BLS has incredible customer service.

edit: When i get some spare time i'll take some video from a Firebird with the BLS kit, a C6Z and a C63 so everyone can see how good the BLS kit is compared to OEM setups. Sometimes i feel like it is better that the vette and benz...but i can't drive them all at once and i rarely park one car just to leave in another, so i don't really know.
We really appreciate the praise and glad you are enjoying your kit. Posts like these really make you feel good. Thank you for your business and support

I would love to see a comparison in output versus those very nice other vehicles.

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Yeah.. Nobody was doubting the BLS kit at all. I believe they are amazing. The point was determining if an unknown/unfamous cheaper alternative might be worth taking a look at. I've done my research on lights, and maybe will own some BLS some day, but I've never seen the ones OP posted until now. Might be good for the LT1 guys since they're 165mm. Maybe a cheaper alternative to look into.
Never a bad idea to look around but projector choices are difficult for the very small housings these cars have. Coupled with the fact they have to actually perform and it does make things a bit more challenging.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sealed Beam projectors