Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 blue/green chameleon paint code(s) ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 blue/green chameleon paint code(s) ??

Hi,
I need some help. I'm looking for the OEM paint code(s) for the 1997 Trans-Am blue/green chameleon paint, and can not find it anywhere.

Ive checked the "Mystic teal metallic" and it does not appear to have the chameleon effect to it, But it is the only blue/green color listed for the 1997 Trans am.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

automotivetouchup.com
paintscratch.com
GOOGLE.com
Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
automotivetouchup.com
paintscratch.com
GOOGLE.com
None of witch answer my question.

The only hit I got was from another forum that claimed the paint code to be 79U. However, 79U is not listed in the 1997 GM PPG paint book. Code. Code 79U is not listed until 1999 and then it is called "Majestic teal ploy".
The only code offered for 1997 is code 43 "Mystic teal metallic" and that is NOT the right color.

In other words, This paint code is not showing up under basic google searches or else I would not be here asking.

Most people that own a chameleon believe the paint to be the code 49/79Mystic teal metallic color. Because it sounds right. But, after ALOT of research Mystic teal is also a Camaro color as well as a color that came on many Pontiac's from 1994-01 and although close, it does not have the chameleon effect.

I need to talk to someone that owns a 1997 chameleon with an intact paint code, or someone that has dealt with ordering this paint before.

Last edited by speed-o; 01-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

There were 3 greens used in '97:
- Bright Green Metallic (31U) ('97-'99)
- Dark Green Metallic (48U) ('94-'97)
- Mystic Teal Metallic (79U) ('95-'01)

MTM I believe was later named "Blue-Green Chamelion" in '98 (or MTM is the name of this color on Camaros).
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
There were 3 greens used in '97:
- Bright Green Metallic (31U) ('97-'99)
- Dark Green Metallic (48U) ('94-'97)
- Mystic Teal Metallic (79U) ('95-'01)

MTM I believe was later named "Blue-Green Chamelion" in '98 (or MTM is the name of this color on Camaros).
My Standard Catalog of Firebird by John Gunnell agrees with these three green colors. It refers to the 79 code as Blue-green Chamelion, but either way, the 79 paint code is what you are looking for.

I had a '97 in Bright Green Metallic and it was pretty, but there is no way you would mistake it for chamelion.

The other colors and codes for 1997 were: 10=Bright White, 13=Bright Silver Metallic, 41=Black, 80=Bright Blue Metallic, 81=Bright Red, 88=Bright Purple Metalllic (mid-year availability) and 96=Red-Orange Metallic. In addition to the 3 greens listed above.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Teching In

You will have to forgive me for being pushy and questioning your replies, I just dropped $380 on a gallon of Deltron base coat that turn out to be the wrong color. I don't want to make that mistake again.

When I went to order the color I was under the impression that code 79 "mystic teal metallic" was the correct color. But, when I had my paint supplier pull the mix formula for code 79 he said it did not have any chameleon effect or even pearl to it.

He then looked up code 43 "majestic teal" and said it had a lot of blue/green pearl additive to it. Since that is the only two colors that match the description of the 97 Trans-am BGC I assumed it was code 43 "Majestic teal" since it has such a high amount of pearls. I was wrong.

Now concern is, if code 79 is the correct color I'm looking for, then where does the chameleon effect come from? PPG does not list a special mid coat, or iridescent top coat for code 79 "Mystic teal metallic" and my supplier is very adamant that it does not have any type of chameleon effect.

I tend to believe my jobber because he has never steered me wrong in the past and because of the mystic teal metallic camaro. From online pictures, the mystic teal camaro's don't look like they have a chameleon effect to them.

But it is possible that my supplier is wrong, he is human and pictures can lie. Especially since chameleon paint can be hard to photograph.

I just want to make sure their is NO DIFFERENCE between code 79 and code 79U or that I'm not missing a component like a special mid-coat or something.

thanks.

BTW: Here is a picture of a 1997 Camaro with code 79 "Mystic teal metallic" and it don't look like the BGC from the trans-am IMO.

And here is the 1997 PPG chip book page with the Mystic teal paint code. Notice how it don't say anything special about the mystic teal? It should say something like "tri-coat" or "chameleon effect" to it like all other GM specialty paints. Take the 94-96 corvette Admiral blue as example. It says clearly that it is a Tri-coat, Iridescent paint system. It seems strange to me that GM would not label the paint as chameleon or note it as a special coating since they do all other special colors.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'll relay my own experience. My 1996 Formula, which I bought new and owned for 9 years, was Blue-Green Chameleon code 79 just like you said. I could never match the paint. I even had original GM touch up paint (in the tube) with the right code, and when it was applied it was just wrong. The color did not have that effect that the original paint surface had. It looked awful and wasn't close to matching. The only explanation that I could come up with, and what they told me at the Pontiac dealership way back when, was that there must have been some type of process or application that gave the 'chameleon effect' when the car was built. Someone at the GM factory or someone with real inside knowledge would have to explain further. I did look through all my old paperwork for you including original pamphlets but nothing explained the process. Sorry.
*** I'll list two photos of my Formula below. Maybe they can be of some help.

Last edited by NC01TA; 01-13-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

From prior post above. Just 'click' on the pics to enlarge. Here you go:

Attachment 274027

Attachment 274028

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

JMO, but.......

A chick from work purchased a new '99 BGC T/A and to me it looked more like the '96 Formula in NC01TA's post (albeit with a little less blue, which I believe to be due to glare from the direct sun in NC01TA's photo), than the '97 Camaro in speed-o's post (which I'll admit, may appear more green due to the overcast lighting when that photo was taken). In fact, that '97 Camaro looks almost the same color as my '94 Z28 w/ the 48U green, sometimes referred to as "Polo Green" or "Green-Yellow Metallic".

No doubt, 79U BGC is tough to photo, thus making it hard to compare the two photos above due to the different lighting.

Speed-o, are you trying to match colors to blend w/ an existing panel? Or are you trying to get as close to BGC for painting the entire car? If it's the latter, I'd recommend ignoring the fine print in the mix catalog and shooting a few samples until you get close to what you are trying to achieve. If you are satisfied that you've gotten really close to BGC, its highly doubtful anyone else will be able to tell the "recipe" you used wasn't exactly from the "cookbook".

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 01-14-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Forgive me for digging up a VERY old post... but for the sake of accuracy/completeness (if that's a word).

In 1997 Chevy offered the Camaro in "Mystic Teal Metallic" (which is the blue/green color changing paint) and the paint code is/was 79U. Mystic Teal is identical to the "BGC" that was on Pontiacs, though I will say the contours of the T/As etc. amplified the color changing properties.

Not sure if my post count will allow me to post pics, if so here is a pic of my Mystic Teal Metallic Camaro in the garage and you can see the similarities to the Pontiacs above:

I am getting a 98+ SS Spoiler sprayed this week with that paint code, I certainly hope it matches! I will post results when I get them.

Chris

Last edited by Mystic350; 12-21-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: embedded image
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

79U is the code for blue green chameleon/ mystic teal

Last edited by talkingpillow; 12-22-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mystic350

I am getting a 98+ SS Spoiler sprayed this week with that paint code, I certainly hope it matches! I will post results when I get them.

Chris
please let me know the outcome, I have been told by the local shop that BGC can not be matched.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speed-o
Hi,
I need some help. I'm looking for the OEM paint code(s) for the 1997 Trans-Am blue/green chameleon paint, and can not find it anywhere.

Ive checked the "Mystic teal metallic" and it does not appear to have the chameleon effect to it, But it is the only blue/green color listed for the 1997 Trans am.
hey brother don’t know of you ever got it figured out but the code is wa320c

Quick Reply: 1997 blue/green chameleon paint code(s) ??