Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Opinion on Paint job.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on Paint job.

After a year of not having my T/A due to some water damage in the engine I finally will get my car back after 1 year. I am basically having the whole engine rebuilt.

My car as of now is Bright Red and am planning on painting my car a metallic black. What do you all think? Should I do it? Im having second doubts. One problem is that the engine compartment might stay red but want it painted black, but mechanics got me thinking when they told me that the painters might mess up some wires/sensors which will cause the whole rebuild to fail due to some sensors not working.

If I do decide on painting the engine compartment black, should I worry?
Should I just leave the engine compartment red and worry about painting the whole car black?

I dont know what to do, I do want my car black.. :-)

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

That's a LOT of money for a good, full paint job. I would say hell no, with the water damage the car is probably valued at what a good paint job is going to run you. Sell it and buy a black car, or leave it red.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gocartone
That's a LOT of money for a good, full paint job. I would say hell no, with the water damage the car is probably valued at what a good paint job is going to run you. Sell it and buy a black car, or leave it red.
Thanks for the reply... :-)

Yea, just the repairs alone is going to be $4000
Then I was told the painting of the whole car would be $2000..
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it red, that's a great color.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, Black is a care intensive color. Meaning...you have to clean it more than any other color for it too look good.
Plan on keeping detail spray, microfiber towels and a California duster to go with you everywhere and use everytime you get out of the car.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies all.. :-)
The black I wanted was a type of a black that is not a solid black, its more like metallic black.. I dont know if that would make any difference.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Wouldn't make a difference, dark colors in general need to be cleaned more often to keep looking good. But black>everything else . $2000 isn't going to cover a good full paint job, I would say ~$4k+. And again, a lot of work to put into a flood damaged (and I'm going to guess salvage title from that) car.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

$4,000 is one thing to have a great running car but putting even more into it is starting to get to a point where you will get killed financially if you need to sell it anytime in the immediate future. If you plan on keeping (are your fingers crossed??) your 'new' black, 'new' engine car for years and years, then go for it and enjoy the car that you truly want. Tough call and yours alone to make.