Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2001 TransAM Wiper Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 TransAM Wiper Issues!

Newbie here...

As the family mechanic I was presented with the typical "wipers up when off" issue that these cars seem all have...

Being a decent wrench, I figured no problem. My research here found the "pulser board" issue, which of course I tried first, that was a no-go, so replaced the entire motor.

This seems to solve the problem, however, no the "park" position isn't at the bottom of the windshield... The wipers go to "park" but it's actually higher on the window than where they wipe to. That is the range of motion is good, but the park just isn't right. Can't figure this out. Any ideas?

BD
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arms been removed before? Just pull the arms off and reposition them.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Default No luck there...

The problem is that "park" is above the lowest wiping position. So if I put the arms on at "park" the blades come too far down and whack the cowel.

The wiping seems nominal for range of motion, blades track as high and low as they should, it's just that "park" is above the lowest wiping position, which is all kinds of bass-ackwards.

I wonder if Napa sold me a bum motor? Frustrating as hell I think they installed the wiper motor as like the 2nd step on the assembly line, it's burried back in there...

BD2002
'01 LS1 TA
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I see what you mean. That sucks. I don't know what would fix that. I've never heard of it before. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Default Wiper Fix

There are 2 things you need to check. The first is the rubber bushings on the wiper motor itself will wear out and put slop in the motor. You can use lots of methods to get out the slack, new rubber, etc. The second and most likely cause is the transmission arms need to be replaced. You can usually find these new for 60-75 dollars each. Replace both. You'll be good for a few years, but if you keep the car long enough you'll be doing all of the above again sooner or later, because it's a poor design, not unlike the headlight motor gears.

Quick Reply: 2001 TransAM Wiper Issues!