Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans Ams With Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has TC, and my brother was driving in the rain, as soon as it sensed slip (while he was at highway speeds) it seems that it caused the car to actually get even more out of control. Long story short he ended up taking a detour through the woods with the car and totaled it. At which point of course I repaired it and now drive it daily LOL!

I don't personally like it, it is useful for light rain/slick road situations, but it absolutely worthless in heavy downpour, snow, ice, etc.

I'm not entirely sure exactly how the system works, but it's a, awkward feeling when it decides to kick in.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Mine is optioned without T/C and I love it. I know you can turn it off and everything, but I would never use it.

I don't drive in the winter or rain. The tires only see dry pavement and T/C is completely useless IMO if your're driving it hard or in race conditions.

Just my .02
Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Teching In

i just want it for fun. me and my brother were cruisin in his 03 z06 doin about 50, he turned the traction control off, dumped it in 3rd and roasted the tires while goin that fast. just wanna be able to do it in the t/a. and i think that if i had one without tc, it would be harder to do.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_bandit
i just want it for fun. me and my brother were cruisin in his 03 z06 doin about 50, he turned the traction control off, dumped it in 3rd and roasted the tires while goin that fast. just wanna be able to do it in the t/a. and i think that if i had one without tc, it would be harder to do.
That makes no sense. Having a car with the traction control off is the same exact thing as having a car with no traction control at all.

So if you shut the TC off because you want to do a burnout, at that point your car will behave in exactly the same way a car with no TC would.

Turning TC off doesn't give you any more power or anything, it's not like shut it off and all the sudden you get an extra 50hp at the wheels or something.

TC doesn't do anything until there actually IS wheelspin. Then it cuts engine power and kicks the accelerator pedal back, so the car just falls on it's face.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

i know this. i want the tc for the safety but have the option to turn it on/off
Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_bandit
i know this. i want the tc for the safety but have the option to turn it on/off
Hmmm, I'm not sure trying to roast the tires at 50mph really falls under the "safety" category.

Oh, and not trying to get into an argument, just busting your ***** a little
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zabo
Mine has it and every other option under the sun (aside from the CD changer which was not available if you got the in dash). Hell the original owner checked the box for the T-Top shades. If it wasn't MRM it'd probably be a WS6.

On topic though, TC is good for some things like rain and slightly slushy surfaces. HOWEVER, it actually becomes totally useless in heavy slush, snow, ice, and hard-pack snow. Essentially anything that if you drive in 'stupid' mode you'll wreck. In those conditions I've had it act like an overly zealous ABS unit and actually turned it off most of the time I had to take it out in the snow (about 4 times).

All in all I'd actually try driving one with the option first (99-02 makes no difference) and play with it, find some puddles or wet spots to slide it around in and see whether or not it's worth the bother.

Remember, it can't be shut off permanently, only via the switch and is reset every time the car is turned off.

Hope this helps..
Good to see another poster from our area.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Teching In

ok.
1. on= safety, better traction, etc...

2. off= easier to slide around, more fun, easier to roast tires and have some fun.
where i live, it rains about 1-3 times a week in the spring and summer and i wont be driving it every time it rains but i doubt i wont drive it at least once in the rain.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your brother lied to you about the traction control causing him to wreck, i would assume he was goofing off and wanted to slide around in the rain.

My car has TC and it does not affect driving ability other than cutting power when it spins.

I leave mine on all the time exept when I am drag racing or purposly want to do a burnout.

I belive it was designed for those guys who liked to whip there car around corners but didnt know how to handle it and crashed it.

the traction control system was not designed for rain imo, it was designed for when people overpowered the car and it essentially lifts off the gas pedal for the driver.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
the traction control system was not designed for rain imo, it was designed for when people overpowered the car and it essentially lifts off the gas pedal for the driver.
I agree. It'll prevent someone who mashes the pedal when it's slick out from spinning, but that's it.

Like when I was in high school, a girl in one of my classes borrowed her BF's 3rd gen T/A one day. As she's leaving school, it's rainy, and she just punches it taking the right out of the parking lot. So of course the rear end kicks out and she starts to fishtail. Not knowing how to handle it, she crashed into a parked car.

THAT's who TC one these cars will help.

Now as a driver, if you have just the smallest bit of common sense, you wouldn't be likely to find yourself in that situation.

As far as myself, drive mine in the rain all the time, and yes, I just leave the TC on all the time. However, I just drive with a light foot and it rarely kicks on.

You gotta drive on with it and get it to activate....then you'll understand about what we mean about it not being that effective.

If it was one of the newer sytems that modulated the brakes and power to the rear wheels individually, then yeah, that'd be great to have, as I'm sure it would be pretty effective in wet weather or even snow.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
yes it can. SLP or some other company offered a wiring kit to reverse the function of the switch, so its always off until you turn it on.
I have mine wired this way. The TCS turns off 10 seconds after you start the car. Should you want to use TCS, press the switch and it's engaged, the switch still functions as it should. SLP used to have a module to achieve this but it's discontinued. I bought a similar device from a non-sponsor, pm me if interested in the manufacturer...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with what has already been said about the TC being worthless if you know how to correct a car in a slide. When I first got the car, I was excited about having the TCS, but after a month, I always turned it off after I started the car. If you are not able to correct a slide, then it will help you out. But if you leave it on and the car slides and you try to correct it, the combination of both you and the TC overcorrects and jerks the car around.
I was going to buy the SLP unit, but when I did the wiremod! I left my TCS unplugged rather than extending the wires. Now I don't have to worry about turning the TCS off when I start the car.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Teching In

I have it and one of my first actions once I start the car is turning it off unless its raining. I read above that it doesn't make a difference in rain and to be honest as a daily driver for the past year even when its on its never activated for me... of course I drive like an old woman... most of the time
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason it does not help in rain or snow is cause when it has a total loss of traction the TC no longer knows what to do.

I am not so sure that it dosnt activate the brakes to some extent.

I say this because once my car got stuck in the show and i had TC on and was going to attempt to rock the car to get it out. all the sudden it sounded like grenades going off in my rear end and the tires tarted jerking and I wasnt even on the gas just letting it spin on idle while I wasnt in the car. So it was definetly doing more than pulling the throttle back especially since the throttle wasnt even being pushed in.

as I stated its main purpose was a system that would have a quicker reaction time than the driver to let out of the gas when there was a loss of traction do to overpowering. also some people panic and push even harder on the gas in the event of a slide or loss of traction as a reflex action this is why it also pushes up on the pedal

Its not going to help if your in the snow and start sliding on ice.

Quick Reply: Trans Ams With Traction Control?