Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Maybe a prob with titile???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maybe a prob with titile???

I bought my 98 TA a few months back from the local dealer here in town. I been waiting the last few weeks for the title to come in, it finally came in last week.

I was looking at and something caught my eye. Where it says model of car it say firebird formula. My car is a trans am.

Did the dealer mess up and put the wrong model is what Im wondering? and if so is there anything I can do to get it changed? Or is everyones car like this also. Would I have probs reselling the car if I desired in the future because of this?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine says "FTA" which I'm guessing is Formula Trans Am abbreviated.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Your insurance company probably has it as a Formula as well. A lot of times when it comes to banks and insurance companies they only define between the two versions of either V6 or V8 and they use either Firebird or Formula to signify it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks, Im just kinda concerned about it because if its messed up I would like to get it fixed asap. I wonder now since yours says FTA if that means firebird trans am?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I guess it could be Firebird Trans Am too! haha
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have any advice on this?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I would not worry about the title semantics too much. Here in NC my title simply says 2001 Pontiac CN (convertible). That's it, nothing else. Just make sure the VIN is accurate. That can cause problems down the road if not exact. Enjoy your ride!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Alright, thanks alot
Old 04-01-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

As far as the BMV or your insurance company is concerned, all they care about is if its got a V6 or V8. Which is why the VIN is only required to discern between those two. Without tapping into GMs or CompNine's VIN database to cross-reference your VIN to your RPO codes to determine if you have the T/A RPO or the Formula RPO, your VIN by itself doesn't even say if it's a Formula or TA, because legally it just doesn't matter.

Besides, the morons and the BMV screw up alot, they certainly aren't consistent. A few years ago I got pulled over for speeding. The cop stayed in his car for about 5 minutes before coming up to my window, and before he spoke to me he checked the VIN through the front window on my car (I was driving an '00 Lincoln LS). First thing out of his mouth was, "Hey, do you know you have an illegal registration?" He then pointed out to me that he had initially thought I was driving a vehicle with stolen plates, because my registration / title says the car was a black FORD. Until he confirmed the VIN on the car matched the registration, I could've been driving a stolen vehicle in his eyes. Since that was the first FoMoCo product I ever owned (and the last), I didn't think anything of it when I first signed the title (which then immediately went to the bank), Lincoln IS Ford, right? What a PITA it was to fix both the title and registration, had to get the bank to send me the title, have a cop come to the house (twice since he f'd up the first time), pay him $10 fee to confirm the VIN on the title matched the car, make 3 trips to the BMV to get it all straight. And none of that was my fault. Idiots.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Launching!

^^^ That sucks man, The insurance card simply says Pontiac Firebird on it which I would expect. because like you stated they dont give a **** basically. I just thought it was odd to have it on the title saying Firebird Formula. The title for my GP isnt that way. It says grand prix gtp on it. Either way I plan on keepin it for awhile and was just concerned with if I decide to sell later down the road that I would get **** over it because it says formula
Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my title/insurance it says Formula / TA , so im guessing it really doesn't matter much. ^^ Just classified as a V6 or V8 really.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC the way it's listed from GM is like this:

Firebird = V6
Firebird Formula=V8
Firebird Formula/Trans Am is the V8 car (Formula) with the Trans Am package added.

Meaning as far as GM (and therefore most DMV's/Govt) is concerned, all Trans Am start life as Formulas.

Quick Reply: Maybe a prob with titile???