Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 to LS1 front end swap. Headlight mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 to LS1 front end swap. Headlight mounting question

Just wondering if someone could explain to me the process of mounting the headlights on the lt1 to the ls1 conversion. Thought I once saw a thread on it, but can't seem to find it.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

sent you a pm hopefully it helps out.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Help!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Did you figure it out ? its not hard
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
Did you figure it out ? its not hard
Nope I didn't I just need to know what piece to buy. There was a thread on another website that said a plastic piece was needed, but it was vague and the guy never answered me. It also said something about the bumper support bar?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

theres 2 holes on the frame that mount the top part of the headlights, then on the out side of each headlight theres a bracket you need from a 98-02 model, then on the inner part of the headlights they should mount. I've got my car taken apart if you need some pics.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by derek3.4
theres 2 holes on the frame that mount the top part of the headlights, then on the out side of each headlight theres a bracket you need from a 98-02 model, then on the inner part of the headlights they should mount. I've got my car taken apart if you need some pics.
Yes, pics would be very much appreciated!! Do you need the whole headlight bar from the 98-02? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah and how did you mount your bumper??
Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

hey man, sorry I haven't been on here to reply back. My laptop died for a few days and decided to work again today. I'll get some pics and up load them in a few.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, for the bumper, slide it on the front of the vehicle and make sure you slide the foglights through the holes.

The top center part of the bumper mounts to 2 holes with bolts here

the left and right side of the center brackets on the bumper mount the the bracket on the frame (the headlights share these brackets, bumper goes on first I'm pretty sure)

Where the fenders and the bumper meet, they attach with another little bracket (which I don't have, the car was wrecked and I have to get another one for both sides, but if you still have your old bumper, I think you can re-use the ones from it.

Headlights then should mount on these brackets (the bumper shares one like I said earlier) You can see some bolts I've screwed in the holes to hold the top of the headlights

Hope this helps some. Sorry again for not being back on. I'm not an expert yet on this stuff. Some things may be wrong, but someone will hopefully chime in. If you need any other pics just let me know.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

This might be better
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks so much going out of your way to post up the pics man! They are a big help. This should be all I need. Got any pics of your finished product?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

It's a long way from being finished. I've had the car since last year but got a job 4 hours away from where I had lived, went to another state for training and then bought a house. I was finally able to haul the T/A up to where I live now a couple months ago. I have to fix a broken brake line, get a new headliner, repair the leather seats, paint the car, assemble some more stuff under the hood. I finally rewired the headlights to get them working. The car already had the front end conversion, so I got lucky there. even came with an aftermarket ws6 hood. I actually found one side of the bracket I said I was missing to attach the fender and bumper. I can try to get a pic of it if you need it. I think I should take a lot more pics and try to get the mods to make another sticky for this swap on the T/A's and firebirds. I don't think there's an existing write-up with pics anymore, only for the camaros. Let me know how your swap goes and make sure to post some pics.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a long way from being finished. I've had the car since last year but got a job 4 hours away from where I had lived, went to another state for training and then bought a house. I was finally able to haul the T/A up to where I live now a couple months ago. I have to fix a broken brake line, get a new headliner, repair the leather seats, paint the car, assemble some more stuff under the hood. I finally rewired the headlights to get them working. The car already had the front end conversion, so I got lucky there. even came with an aftermarket ws6 hood. I actually found one side of the bracket I said I was missing to attach the fender and bumper. I can try to get a pic of it if you need it. I think I should take a lot more pics and try to get the mods to make another sticky for this swap on the T/A's and firebirds. I don't think there's an existing write-up with pics anymore, only for the camaros. Let me know how your swap goes and make sure to post some pics.
Yeah man, I found a sort of write up on another site for it, but it was missing some key info. A stickey would definately be a good idea.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah maybe one of the mods will see this and want to do it. Just let ne know if u need a pic of that bracket. I could send it thru txt or put it on here. Your choice.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

New question!! What did you guys do about wiring. Did you just hook them straight up or use ls1 connectors? Pics PLZZZZ!!!! Need to get this project done soon! I need my car back. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Staging Lane

you can splice it to use the old connectors or the new ones, or straight through without a connector. I went to a junk yard and found a couple 5 wire weatherpacks from another vehicle.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can splice it to use the old connectors or the new ones, or straight through without a connector. I went to a junk yard and found a couple 5 wire weatherpacks from another vehicle.
Thanks for the reply man. I just went with the straight up hardwire. Need some soldering.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Nice, if your ride is on the youtube channel in your sig, it looks pretty darn good. Good job!

Quick Reply: LT1 to LS1 front end swap. Headlight mounting question