Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Want to make sure I'm not missing anything

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Want to make sure I'm not missing anything

So this is a looking to buy thread, basically I've had my rx7 for about a year and started looking for an fbody again, particularly a 98-02 t/a and I found one that i'm interested in, here is what's wrong and price and info:

1999 Trans am
103k miles, everything was stock
check engine light, dealer said it was the cats
There was very minimal surface rust under the car this is from pa
sagging drivers door
Trans fluid seemed alright, but had a hard 1-2 shift
and that is pretty much it, the car is marked at 6995

I used to have a 94 camaro so I would like to think I checked it over pretty thoroughly but you never know I will try to get the pictures off of my phone, if that doesn't work i'll just grab the ones off of the dealer site. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy anything with an SES light unless you have the codes. Also, better deals cam be had for 7k. I paid roughly that price and my car had 30k miles less than that one.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would obviously need to verify the codes or get some type of guarantee that it is the cats. As far as the deal goes, I'm not so sure about finding a better one, almost anything with an ls1 around me is at least 10k.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Sounds like you would be buying a $7,000 'money pit'. Insane price for a 100k miles car with issues. The engine may be royally screwed up with bad cats operating, and for how long was it like that? Who owned this car? Pass on this one and TRAVEL to find your car. A few hundred dollars in gas, fast food and a cheap motel may be the best $$ you ever spent in getting a much better car. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so one more update on this, and I know everyone is telling me to walk away, but I went with the car to a mechanic, and verified the codes, it needs cats. Dealer also shaved a grand off of the price in addition to the trade in, and is getting the door fixed. I know the car has been on his lot for a while so he seems anxious to get it gone. I think I will be pulling the trigger on it. Will post pictures!

Quick Reply: Want to make sure I'm not missing anything