Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Just a quick console question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just a quick console question

Does anyone know if it is easy to replace/ install a new ashtray lid for an a4 ls1 bird? I just broke mine and am annoyed with it lol. I have seen some on ebay for a pretty high price, but it seems like you would have to remove the entire console to replace it, correct? Does anyone know the best way to do this without breaking the console while removing it.? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They just pop in
Old 05-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, if you need to remove the console which I don't think you do. It's very easy, 2 nuts hold it down under the coin holder. Pop off the staple holding the shift handle on and pull that off. Lift up from the cup holder side. It just pops in. Might feel like it takes force, but just lift until the clips start popping out. Unplug whatever needs unplugging. Shift light, TCS, etc.

Might be a good idea to do this regardless as you can REALLY clean underneath the shift plate now. Did this to mine a couple months back. You can actually take apart the entire shift indicator assembly too and clean that inside and out if you like.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tips gentlemen I thought there might be a spring in there for the ashtray lid, but it doesn't look to be the case.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There IS a spring but they break off too. I say pull the whole upper console off to check out what you've got going on. It'll just make it that much easier to place the new lid without breaking it. While you have it off, take the screws out that hold the gear indicator out and clean that. There gets to be a LOT of gunk in the cracks and spaces. That whole pice comes apart and you should use a toothbrush and warm soapy water to clean it. You won't regret doing that little extra work. You might even find some spare change down in there!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell that's where all my change must have went lmao! Thanks for the tips. I looked at a pic of one to order online, no spring there? Just plastic mechanism/brackets on either side
Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spring might not be included. There's a tab off the back left side of the lid that the sprig attaches to. Your might be hanging in your console or maybe fell off but the is supposed to be one. It's not needed tho. It just helps keep the lid open while driving. Without it the lid will close when you gas it.

Quick Reply: Just a quick console question