Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Does anyone make a clear or diomond turn signal lamp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone make a clear or diomond turn signal lamp?

Does anyone know of a manufacture that makes a nice Clear/Diomond turn signal housing for a 98-02 Transam? I don't really like the texture look and I was wondering if there were any options. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No, but... You can DIY disassemble yours using a heat gun to soften the glue, take the old lens off, trace the lens outline onto a piece of thick Lexan or other clear Polycarbonite plastic, then once the lens outline is traced onto the clear Lexan or Polycarbonite, cut out the shape with a bandsaw, smooth out the edges with sandpaper if necessary, and silicone it back to the lens reflector. You may want to take the time to paint the reflector housing with silver paint too. I did it to mine and I'm pretty happy with the results.

BTW, this is for the very front turn signal lights, on the front bumper. Not the side marker lights.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Teching In

That's what i'm wanting i wanted to paint the inside black and see if i like that. Thanks for the help, I was thinking about doing that with glass but plastics would be easier.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by oneslwtransam
That's what i'm wanting i wanted to paint the inside black and see if i like that. Thanks for the help, I was thinking about doing that with glass but plastics would be easier.
Glass would be way more durable - the hardest part is finding impact resistant glass and a way to cut it properly. Some other guy painted the housing black, used black silicone, and I believe painted over the silicone bonded areas ON THE CLEAR PART with black paint to hide the silicone from showing through. Looked pretty good, but the light output wasn't bright at all.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

What kinda bulbs? I have LED switchbacks.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by oneslwtransam
What kinda bulbs? I have LED switchbacks.
I have LEDs as well. Want to go to switchbacks, but can't justify the cost right now with so many other things taking priority. LEDs make a lot less heat so the chances of cracked housings due to melting/temperature variances are slim to none.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a clear or diomond turn signal lamp?