Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New member here with AC problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here with AC problem!!

Well I have a 2000 Firebird (V6, Standard, 140000 miles, etc...) that I have been driving without AC for about 2 weeks now...

It's in the 110's here and I'm driving a black car... I NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP...

2 weeks ago I had to sit in the parking lot for about 5 min so i put the air on low at full ac. Then out of nowhere something exploded under the hood... and there went the ac...

So, I found the problem was that the AC Evaporator tube (?) split in half and all the freon (I'm guessing) came out.

Now I'm looking for the part right now but I have never worked on an AC unit in a car before but I have done just about everything else in my car.

My problem right now is this... I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN.
LoL
I'm currently looking for parts which seems to be hard. I'm not a big fan of ordering parts online but orielly, autozone, and a few local places can't order the part.

Then after I get the part what is the first thing I need to do to dismantle the tube? I'm not going to have to take the compressor completely out am I?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

You might get lucky and someone maybe parting out a car with a/c Look in parts for sale section or put a add in parts needed section . As far as what you need to do . I would imagine just replace the hose and put freon in . The only problem that would concern me is why did the old one pop ? could be just a flaw in hose .
Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah I have been on here for one day now LoL
Didn't really see that there was a part section LoL

The pop was the hose basically splitting in half. I haven't got a clue why it did but it is barely attached with a few bits of metal holding it together.

But the tube seems like its either heavenly integrated into the metal tube that connects to the the compressor and the condenser. So I don't think that I will be able to just replace the rubber hose
I do wish it was this easy, and who knows it may be. LoL

But I have found nothing on the internet about this happening to anyone else. With an LS1 anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply Ocala!

Quick Reply: New member here with AC problem!!