Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking at 98 TA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 98 TA

I know it seems as though im never gonna pick a car but im being real cautious before i just settle on one.
Stumbled across this car today. Clean carfax 1 owner and everything is stock. Exhaust was hardly noticeable definitely would have to change that. I've looked at and driven at least 20 cars and this was the cleanest car of them all and the oldest. There wasn't a single rip or stain in the seats. No cracks in dash, no paint peeling, nothing not even on the sail panel. There were a handful of spots on the paint that were scratched but that's it and none of them were even noticeable until you get right up on the car. Every single thing on the car worked but we had an issue with the drivers side power door. It would go up and down pretty slow and then wouldn't do anything. Give it a few minutes and it would work again. The dealership said that would be fixed before i bought it. Car shifted smoothly and oil pressure was good. Got underneath and saw no signs of leaky rear end. It did have a left rear water damaged taillight but that's no big deal. Tires were basically new.
Car is listed at $7995 plus tt&l
Heres the link

http://www.jerryschevytexas.com/Vehi...-TX/1152769713
Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The link didn't work. How many miles does it have? I got my '01 for $8500 and was in close to perfect shape.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Another link in case the first one doesn't work

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The power window motor on the driver's door is going out-not a big deal. That's a clean car. My T/A was about that clean when I picked it up, but there were a couple of minor issues I had to fix (power antenna, cracked console, etc). How does a tail light get water damage? Buy it and find a WS6 hood for it...
Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

I don't really know that it's water damage. It's just one is darker than the other. That's just what I called it. I've seen it a lot with these cars and thought I read somewhere that water getting in there causes it. IDK
Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Clean looking ride. Not to bad on the miles either especially if the previous owner took as much care of the motor as they did for the rest of the car.

Power window motors/tracks just go out in our cars. Its gonna happen.
I definitely wouldn't let that stop me from pulling the trigger. Good find, and good luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

I'm planning on offering $7k out the door since it's a 98 and has 112k.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nochey
Good plan. I'd do the same.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

I sent over an offer for 7 off the lot and he said it would take 7500 plus tt&l and that they've already had another dealer offer them that for it. I'm finding that extremely hard to believe.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Now the game begin! I'd counter with $6900 plus TTL off the lot. You need to decide exactly how much total your willing to pay and stick to it. Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't budge.
Don't seem eager.
There will be another come along if they don't wanna sell it for your offer.
Let them stew, not you, ...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job man. Take some cash with you for a down payment and wave it around a little . Say something along the lines of I could pay you $7100 or $7200 right now. Best of luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going down there tomorrow with $7500 cash and I'm gonna offer them $7k. May go $7200 at the most
Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought my 99 WS6 for 8200 105k on it. So that's about right up the alley

I don't really know that it's water damage. It's just one is darker than the other. That's just what I called it. I've seen it a lot with these cars and thought I read somewhere that water getting in there causes it. IDK
There's a thread about this on the first page right now. Something about water gets in there and screws up the look up the chrome reflector. Could be wrong on part names but that's the jist of it, happens ALOT

Originally Posted by myk
The power window motor on the driver's door is going out-not a big deal. That's a clean car. My T/A was about that clean when I picked it up, but there were a couple of minor issues I had to fix (power antenna, cracked console, etc). How does a tail light get water damage? Buy it and find a WS6 hood for it...
Why not go Superbird, WS9 or WSq if getting a new hood. Unless you can find a WS6 for a good price. That WSq is

Originally Posted by AlamoTA
Now the game begin! I'd counter with $6900 plus TTL off the lot. You need to decide exactly how much total your willing to pay and stick to it. Good Luck!
He already offered 7, can't go lower. Unless there's a new system of bartering I'm not familiar with? lol

Cash always talks loudest, they say they've got someone offering them that much so they can get you to pay it. If they already had the other offer and would sell for that, why hadn't they already? Stay firm and wave some cash around and they'll see it the way you do eventually. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Alright went in today with cash planning on taking it home. Told them i had cash and wanted it today. Took it for another test drive. The car acted like it wanted to die every now and then when it had a load and the ac even died and came back on twice during my 15 minute drive. It was fine in neutral with ac maxed out. It would only do it in 1st-3rd or so. Seemed fine on the highway. Its gotta be something electrical. The speedometer and tach would jump around and at one point in 2nd it said i was running 70 and tached out. The battery guage was under 13 volts the whole time. I told them about it and they said all they could do was run it through service and let them check it. Another salesman drove it and it did the same thing to him. When it came back from service (not even sure they took it cause i left) they called me back saying they saw no problems. They pretty much told me that I would have to fix it after i bought it. Pretty shitty way to do business. Im sure they will be calling soon
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

If they won't fix it maybe you can get it dirt cheap and do a little work yourself? If not always keep looking, sooner or later you'll find something that meets all your requirements

Quick Reply: Looking at 98 TA