Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Differental Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Differental Question

I obtained a 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 in Feburary of 2011 and aside from the rear main seal leaking I've noticed that the differental is leaking. I don't drive the car often and noticed that there's a clear in color gear type liquid under the rear end on the garage floor where the car is parked. I'm going to change the differential cover gasket and see if that works. My question is has anyone had a problem with the pinion gear gasket? And are there any sites on the 'net to show how to replace the pinion gear gasket? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by leland1344
I obtained a 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 in Feburary of 2011 and aside from the rear main seal leaking I've noticed that the differental is leaking. I don't drive the car often and noticed that there's a clear in color gear type liquid under the rear end on the garage floor where the car is parked. I'm going to change the differential cover gasket and see if that works. My question is has anyone had a problem with the pinion gear gasket? And are there any sites on the 'net to show how to replace the pinion gear gasket? Any help would be appreciated.
Clean diff lube will look light amber in your fingers (nearly clear) similar to motor oil. If the leak is coming from the pinion seal on the front, the only way to replace that is to disassemble the rear end, pull the pinion gear out (a PITA), replace the seal, re-install the pinion w/ a new crush sleeve and re-assemble the diff keeping the shims all the same and praying for proper gear mesh pattern. If the leak isn't really bad, I'd live with it until you had a real reason to pull the rear apart. In any case, you should be able to determine where the leak is coming from if you get your car up in the air a bit (clean around the pinion and cover ends, then look for where the leak is coming from).

Quick Reply: Differental Question