Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need advice/opinions on a 67 Firebird purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice/opinions on a 67 Firebird purchase

I am looking into buying this car to restore and sell. I would like to get some opinions from people who have this car and who can tell me realistically what i can sell it for. I know there are alot of factors out there but I would like just a general opinion. The car itself is all intact and primered, it has a 400 running engine in it. The interior needs to be replaced, thats a given and was expected. I have gone through this with my 87 TA so iIam familiar with the process. The car will also be painted, not sure what color and not sure of the cost. I will be seeing a painter that was recommended through a friend. So assuming everything is done to the car, what would be a realistic price to sell this. The car has been offered to me for $3350 plus approx $500 to transport it. I would be into it for $4K before I even started to look at parts. Should I also install a new stereo? Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

So much depends on the degree of restoration. Frame-off or frame on or how much originality is going back into the car?? If a backyard job done without much effort or originality, then I would say do NOT buy it. If you are going to do the car justice then it might be worth your time. Recent major auction sales with '67 Firebirds with 400 CI engines bring in the low to mid 20's. The late January '11 Mecum Kissimmee auction had an original #3 condition example go for $25,500 and the Mecum Indy May '11 auction had a #2 car with non-original 400 and Ram Air III go for $22,500. Mecum sells really decent cars and you would have to do one heck of a job to have your car be in this class. At that same Indy auction a #3 '67 Firebird with a 326 went for only $11,500 so you can see what disparity lies ahead for you. In these times you certainly will not get top $$ on your own. If you start throwing thousands into your car (with non-professional results) you may have trouble getting your money back, never mind a profit. This is a serious, tough call to make. Good luck whatever your decision.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Been-there-done-that with restorations. If your motive was to buy it as a toy to build and have fun... then at a glance it looks like a great candidate assuming it's rust free. But to use as an investment? Unless there's something rare about this 'Bird, that's the original motor, and you're going to do an above-average restoration, this isn't the right car. There's not much room for profit margin at the moment since the muscle car market is down with the rest of the economy. Investment grade cars with a potential for profit need something extra these days.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing a 69 trans am clone and like others have said there isn't enough money in it to safely clear it. If you love the car then do it- otherwise you will probably break even.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it were a factory firebird 400 and had the factory engine I still think you may have a tough time making enough for it to be worth your while. I have found restoring my 68 400 that parts are not easy to find for them, or cheap.

I see it has the console, factory colors were probably blue on blue. Then I see it has at least one non factory seat, engine needs painted(and is not numbers matching)...like others said as a fun car it would be sweet! As a money maker I just dont see enough to stay safe.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive now been offered to buy the car at $2500....I am now seriously considering it

Quick Reply: Need advice/opinions on a 67 Firebird purchase