Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

neeed help bird down

Old 11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neeed help bird down

i have an 01 ws6 with auto it has 76545 miles super clean has slp mass airflow and air cleener and has an aftermarket muffler and a jet tuner. my problem i had this car parked in the garage for a year every month i had it started one month went to start it up and everything whent well lights bells whistle all came on and then the starter didnt engage pulled it out and tested it worked fine . hooked tuner up and can not connect to the ecm . bought used ecm same problem . double checked security system its all off . check chip in key it is nice and clean . checked wires all are in great shape put in new relays and ignition switch still dosnt work i do have power going out of the ignition switch and all fuses are in good shape please help me get the bird on the road
Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah always start with the simple stuff first, like the battery. You may have power going to places but possibly not enough to engage the starter properly...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check if u are getting power to the starter when turning the key to the start position.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guppymech
Your battery is either low or dead. Is the starter just clicking when you try to start it? Clicking starter solenoid = bad electrical connections or low battery. Try again after charging the battery.

If the battery is dead or really low, then the car won't crank but could possibly light up the accessories of the car.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:16 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

firebirdws6ls1, welcome to LS1tech!

Turn on the headlights then try to start it. Do the headlights dim down?

YES: The starter is engaging but cannot turn the engine. See if the engine will turn by hand.

NO: The starter is not engaging. Check everything electrical in the starter circuit(s).

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Teching In

ok update tried new battery unhooked aftermarket theft device i am getting power after the ignition switch and i have got the antitheft light acting normal and still i have got nothing the starter does not try to engage and i can not hook up a programmer says no communication still puzzeled

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: neeed help bird down