Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need Advice on decision for my Firehawk Blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Advice on decision for my Firehawk Blown engine

My engine blew up at 35k miles, still unsure for certain why it blew one mechanic said it was the tune another said the piston blew and another said cam bearings. Regardless I have a new 383 with everything needed to be put in from texas speed. My question is if i ever want to sell my Firehawk would it be better to just sell the new 383 and buy a rebuilt engine or a new stock LS1, or put in the 383 as i had planned? Also would stock rocker arms be enough for the 383? I have a tsunami cam and also stage 2.5 cylinder heads.With all ARP bolt sets for everything.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post in the internal engine section. Someone will better help u
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Modifications for the most part don't increase the value. Your car is desirable because it's a Firehawk, and having a 383 won't necessarily be appealing to potential buyers. People buying Firehawks are typically buying them because they are pristine, rare, and somewhat collectable. If you don't plan on selling it in the near future put the 383 in it.

Also, stock rockers should be fine. Check to get other people's opinions in the Gen III internal engine though (like mannyman84 said).
Old 12-04-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from in reference to selling the car. If you are wondering about the future collector factor with your Firehawk, forget it, it is over. Do whatever you want. As stated above, most collectors want stock, unmolested, original cars.
If you are wondering if it is worth keeping your 383 knowing that it won't fetch anything extra at selling time in the Firehawk, yeah, you may be better off keeping the engine if the cost is real high. Only you have the financial numbers to crunch whether it is worth it or not.
Sorry about your original low mileage engine. That hurts!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ agree with this guy,
Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say put the 383 in and enjoy,i have a question though wasnt the ls1 modded? you said tune could have been a issue, cam bearings etc, seems like issues a modded ls1 would have ,not a bone stock motor with 35k
Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Modifications for the most part don't increase the value. Your car is desirable because it's a Firehawk, and having a 383 won't necessarily be appealing to potential buyers. People buying Firehawks are typically buying them because they are pristine, rare, and somewhat collectable. If you don't plan on selling it in the near future put the 383 in it.

Also, stock rockers should be fine. Check to get other people's opinions in the Gen III internal engine though (like mannyman84 said).
Good answer but.....................

WTF HAPPENED TO THE FORMULA I LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong the vette is sick......

Quick Reply: Need Advice on decision for my Firehawk Blown engine