Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Bottomed car out in the middle. Now it grinds once in a while. help:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottomed car out in the middle. Now it grinds once in a while. help:(

I have a 98 Trans am with 130k miles. I ran over a big metal pipe in the middle of a driveway going slow. Nothing is leaking but I hear a grinding or scraping noise towards the passenger side of the car. This happen to anybody else? Am I looking to pay lots of $$ if it is just mounts or drivetrain?

Here is a pic of my baby

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Oh, now ya did it. The 'ol "ran-over-a-big-pipe-goin'-slow-now-it-grinds" problem. Happens all the time.

Not really.

You'll need to get under the car to see what that pipe hit and bent. It might be just a heat shield by the exhaust somewhere, or you may have bent a trans cross-member or exhaust. Don't be running over big pipes! Not good on the car.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Oh, now ya did it. The 'ol "ran-over-a-big-pipe-goin'-slow-now-it-grinds" problem. Happens all the time.

Not really.

You'll need to get under the car to see what that pipe hit and bent. It might be just a heat shield by the exhaust somewhere, or you may have bent a trans cross-member or exhaust. Don't be running over big pipes! Not good on the car.
lol maybe it isn't very common. I was dropping a girl off and I was gazing into her eyes and not at the road and I didn't see the pipe. Who puts a pipe there anyway? Bringing it to the shop today, I was just wondering if anybody had this happen before with no leaks anywhere and how expensive repairs will be if something got bent.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Ive bottomed out a million times. Usually min just hits a crossmember or the floor in the back. Just take it slow on spots that look scary. And if we had a pic under tge car to look at. We would have a better idea of what is causing tge ruckus
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Also my air dammer spoiler drags on my driveway every single time. If anything starts leaking. You will prolly need a new pan or if a manual a new case. Hope its just a loose shield or sumthin man
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackTAramair
lol maybe it isn't very common. I was dropping a girl off and I was gazing into her eyes and not at the road and I didn't see the pipe. Who puts a pipe there anyway? Bringing it to the shop today, I was just wondering if anybody had this happen before with no leaks anywhere and how expensive repairs will be if something got bent.
i dont mean to be rude but you were gazing into her eyes?
okay so you dropped her off on her supposive driveway but only hit the pipe backing out? hmmmmm
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSex
i dont mean to be rude but you were gazing into her eyes?
okay so you dropped her off on her supposive driveway but only hit the pipe backing out? hmmmmm
no we were looking for the right apartment and I just wasn't looking and ran it over going forward. I wonder if i'm hurting it by still driving it every day. Only hear the scraping and griding once in a while. It grinds and scrapes as soon as I hit a bump until I park it then it's fine until I hit another bump. Right under the passenger seat it sounds like. Car is too dam low for North Dakota pothole roads

Quick Reply: Bottomed car out in the middle. Now it grinds once in a while. help:(