Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Mini tub + Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini tub + Rear Seats

Would it be possible to install a Mini tub into my Trans Am, but keep the rear seats + seatbelts by welding the seatbelt bases onto the tub?

I'm not too concerned about the interior, but if anyone has ever tried this, I'd be happy to know how it turned out.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=824
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You might want to add a piece of thicker gauge metal that ties into the factory floor for a little more strength (where the seatbelt bracket would be welded back on). I'd be hesitant to allow back seat passengers for fear of the seatbelt mount ripping out of the wheel tub in the event of an accident.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
You might want to add a piece of thicker gauge metal that ties into the factory floor for a little more strength (where the seatbelt bracket would be welded back on). I'd be hesitant to allow back seat passengers for fear of the seatbelt mount ripping out of the wheel tub in the event of an accident.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I've been using the BFH + Propane torch method and have mounted 315s, but I want to go bigger, so tubs seem to be the only option now.

I want to keep it a 4 seater, another option is when I build my cage I can add an extra bar across the rear cage arms for a 5 point seat belt for the rear seats, dunno though.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided you be careful in your welding.
Look at the way the factory reinforces the seatbelt mounting points and duplicate it, you should be fine.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

5 points for the back seat? wtf. noone rides in my backseat, just 1 girl in the pass seat, mainly becauase i am a giant and noone can fit behind my seat lol. arent 5points illegal for street use?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont see why you couldnt make another mounting point for the seats.

but how come you had to do the BFH mod and stuff just for 315s, my car runs 315s just fine with no mods whatso ever.

ive herad of 335s being ran on cars on 11 inch rims with no minitubbing also
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
I dont see why you couldnt make another mounting point for the seats.

but how come you had to do the BFH mod and stuff just for 315s, my car runs 315s just fine with no mods whatso ever.

ive herad of 335s being ran on cars on 11 inch rims with no minitubbing also
Had to do the bfh mod for my Z06 wheels, they rubbed every time I took a turn. Regarding the tubbing, I want them to be tucked under the fender, not protruding, I could get 335s to fit with spacers, but then it just looks hideous.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
arent 5points illegal for street use?
No.

And Illegal is a sick bird.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question why are you guys having interference issues with running a 315 tire offset? I build a z28 for a friend and he used black/polished lip tt2's with 17x11 rear un sure of offset but car wasn't lowered and had stock replacement blistein shocks that were fresh

Are you guys having interference lowering your cars without adjustable phb or phb relocation brackets? Even lowered car tires never hit inner fender just top when suspension bottomed out not in corners tho and no bfh mom necessary

Also if the wheel tubs are correctly installed they shouldnt weaken the structure of the car asolng as reinforcing is involved as most Aftermarket wheel tubs are a thinner steel than the factory wheel tubs
Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

In some states 5 point harnesses maynot be considered legal for street use every states seatbelts laws vary from state to state like ga and Fla are way different so you may wanna find out before committing to such
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
Question why are you guys having interference issues with running a 315 tire offset? I build a z28 for a friend and he used black/polished lip tt2's with 17x11 rear un sure of offset but car wasn't lowered and had stock replacement blistein shocks that were fresh

Are you guys having interference lowering your cars without adjustable phb or phb relocation brackets? Even lowered car tires never hit inner fender just top when suspension bottomed out not in corners tho and no bfh mom necessary

Also if the wheel tubs are correctly installed they shouldnt weaken the structure of the car asolng as reinforcing is involved as most Aftermarket wheel tubs are a thinner steel than the factory wheel tubs
Not all fourth-gens need clearancing for larger tires. However, some do. Variances in production. Plus, the overall shape of the tire varies depending on what your set-up is.....drag radials on 15 inch wheels versus low profile tires on 17 inch wheels will be overall different sizes.

Weakening the structure wasn't really the issue. Welding the seatbelt bracket onto the thinner gauge mini tub was the main issue.

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
In some states 5 point harnesses maynot be considered legal for street use every states seatbelts laws vary from state to state like ga and Fla are way different so you may wanna find out before committing to such
Too my knowledge, 5 point harnesses aren't considered legal for street use in any state. That's why I still have a factory seat belt mounted for the driver's seat in my '95 'bird.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Teching In

My .02 on the harness legality. Seat belts or harnesses must approved by US DOT to be considered legal. I have Schroth 4-point harnesses in my '95 TA and they have a label sewn to them indicating US DOT approval. Law enforcement may vary by state and the cops in you area.

One thing to consider, if you use racing style harnesses (3" width, mine are 2" width) and have an accident with injuries, you could be sued for not providing DOT approved passenger restraints. Even if the harnesses have nothing to do with the injuries. Just the way some lawyers and people are.

Of course my rollbar and disconnected air bags probably ruin this as well. Just make an informed choice and play/drive as hard and wise as you can!

Later .... Larry S.

Quick Reply: Mini tub + Rear Seats