Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Door Panel fix question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel fix question...

First off, thanks to GM, my hands ache like a b*tch this morning after pulling out all 10 staples from my door panel last night. They certainly do hold well...but I guess that's the basic problem right??

I'm going to go the nut/bolt route (#4-40 machine screws) when I replace the weatherstrip. When I drill out the holes, shouldn't I use a dremel or something to sort of elongate the holes??? In my mind, that will allow some contraction and expansion of the door panel. If I just drilled perfectly round holes just big enough for the machine screws, wouldn't I sort of be back to where I started with the staples?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in a nut & bolt that would fit in the existing holes..It has been 5 years & the crack is no bigger.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I used zip ties between holes pulled firmly, not tight. It keeps the weather stripping on the panel, but allows for the panel to stretch as it wants to... the zip ties tighten then and relax later.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you went way overboard by removing all 10. If I remember correctly, only the rear 2 (maybe 3) from each side need to come out.
I used bailing wire after I re-drilled mine...they were misaligned once the cracks were repaired. I used needle nose pliers to feed them through, then cinched and trimmed.
I don't disagree with the nut and bolt option, but I do think removing all the staples was a little much. I hope it works out for you though.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed all the staples and used those tiny bolts and locking nuts. And yes, when I drilled the holes, I elongated them a little bit because I was thinking the same thing you are.

That was 3 years ago, and even though I haven't driven it much since, the door panel still looks perfect.

Quick Reply: Door Panel fix question...