Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Swapping mufflers, drop rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping mufflers, drop rear end?

I searched for this but could not find a direct answer although it seems that I will have to drop the rear axle to swap the muffler, is this true?

Car is an '02 WS6 and all I want to do is drop the catback, cut off the muffler, weld in a magnaflow and reinstall. I don't have a lift, all I have is a flat floor, a few jacks and jackstands...and a pair of hands to help me out.

Is this reasonable to do or is it hopeless?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc74
I searched for this but could not find a direct answer although it seems that I will have to drop the rear axle to swap the muffler, is this true?

Car is an '02 WS6 and all I want to do is drop the catback, cut off the muffler, weld in a magnaflow and reinstall. I don't have a lift, all I have is a flat floor, a few jacks and jackstands...and a pair of hands to help me out.

Is this reasonable to do or is it hopeless?
The stock exhaust isn't sectioned after the y-pipe. You could certainly cut the exhaust and weld in a new muffler without mucking with dropping the axle.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
The stock exhaust isn't sectioned after the y-pipe. You could certainly cut the exhaust and weld in a new muffler without mucking with dropping the axle.

Thanks for your reply!

I suppose that as long as I can raise the car high enough I can cut the old muffler off but that means I can't weld the new muffler on while it's off the car since I won't be able to get it all back on in one piece. This would work however if I use clamps on the muffler but I think welds would be a bit more secure.

How much work is it to drop the axle while the car's on jack stands? I'm assuming all you need is a bit of extra clearance and the axle doesn't have to be removed all the way?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc74
Thanks for your reply!

I suppose that as long as I can raise the car high enough I can cut the old muffler off but that means I can't weld the new muffler on while it's off the car since I won't be able to get it all back on in one piece. This would work however if I use clamps on the muffler but I think welds would be a bit more secure.

How much work is it to drop the axle while the car's on jack stands? I'm assuming all you need is a bit of extra clearance and the axle doesn't have to be removed all the way?
you can unclip the break lines from the axle tubes, take the brakes off and hang them with coat hangers or bungee cords. Detach the parking brake cables from both sides of the axle. Unplug the abs/tcs sensors at the axle and detach that cable from the axle tubes. Then remove the shocks, lower control arms, panhard bar, springs will fall out when the axle is low enough. You can unbolt the torque arm at the diff, and then take the drive shaft out. I have had the rear out of my car several times, and it can, and has been done with stands and a floor jack. Frankly that's a lot of work for just a muffler.

I would just cut the exhaust leave enough length that you can clamp it. Use some exhaust paste, and clamp it.

Quick Reply: Swapping mufflers, drop rear end?