Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What to do to my 1993 Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do to my 1993 Firebird?

I have a 1993 Firebird base model with the 3.4L v6 andI would really like to get a WS6 when I get the cash but in the time being...

Should I drop a grand to get a salvage TA with the LT1 motor and do the swap (Yes, I will be doing all the work myself)??? Has anyone done this swap, do you have any tips etc.? If I were to do the swap and build it up, ie) headers, full exhaust, wet shot, forced induction, cam what kind of performance can I expect to get out of it?

Secondly, because I want a WS6 so badly, but can't really afford one, Is anyone familiar with a kit or a way to convert the body appearance of a regular firebird into that of the Trans Am? The fancy looking ones with the ground effects, special hood, higher spoiler and all that. If I can make it look the way I want it to and get a decent amount of power out of it I'll just hold onto it and not worry about upgrading to a new car. My car currently only has 77k miles on it, is healthy as hell and you'd be lucky to find even a speck of surface rust (I live in NY so that's pretty impressive)

If I were to invest in a WS6 what would I be looking at as far as insurance increases go? I'm an 18 year old male in western NY and I probably wouldn't do much more than a shitload of liability and possibly glass coverage. No accident or credit history
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Insurance can be a serious issue at your age. The best way to find out is to just call and ask. It may blow your socks off!
The choice of modding is a very personal decision and only you know what you want. If you can be happy having the type car you describe, then go for it. The financial key to remember here is that every penny you put into an original 6 cylinder 19 year old car will be lost. You will get next to nothing back for your modded car at selling time. Now if you keep it for many years, then the cost will average out fine and no worries when selling it. You will get your money's worth, but selling it after 6 months or a year is just throwing away money that you could have saved.
Personally I would wait and save to buy the car you truly want unless the insurance prohibits it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, keep the car you have now and don't do anything huge to it. In a few years, when you can afford it, get the WS6. I was in the same position as you (same location as well ), got my Firebird when I was 16 and wanted a Trans Am the next year. I waited it out, went to college with my Firebird, graduated and just got myself a WS6. If you don't go to college, or have someone else pay for it, you can probably save up pretty quick and be able to afford a Trans Am quicker than you think. Just have to learn how to save, and not blow money on your current car.

I am a 23 year old male and pay $420 for 6 months of full-coverage with one accident and one speeding ticket for my '02 WS6. But there are other factors to consider when calculating insurance premiums, including credit score and education.