Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Verifying WS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verifying WS6

I may be purchasing a vehicle sight-unseen from eBay. I want to verify that the vehicle is a true WS6 and not a clone. If the options sticker is not available can I verify through the VIN somehow?

Thanks
Dave M
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Disregard. The options sticker was available after all.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Re-think buying a car 'sight unseen' unless it is crazy low miles from a very reputable seller. Too many folks are burned every day buying a car in this fashion. This is serious $$. Be careful!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Launching!

I'm thinking long and hard about it, believe me. I'm nervous. Really the only money that is on the line would be my deposit. I'd be pickin the car up in person and handing over the rest of the money then. I talked to the guy on the phone and he was able to text me some additional pictures of the car and the option sticker, so I at least know the car actually exists. What else should I watch out for? How can I protect myself? I know there are scams out there (and this is a relatively new eBay user) but surely there are legitimate cars being sold too. What else can I do to verify?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't send the deposit Western Union or to a P.O. Box, If you can send the deposit through Pay-Pal you might even be able to get the money back because the car wasn't as described. make sure it's a verifable, legitimate address
Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Don't send the deposit Western Union or to a P.O. Box, If you can send the deposit through Pay-Pal you might even be able to get the money back because the car wasn't as described. make sure it's a verifable, legitimate address
Very good advice.
Dave M., There is nothng that beats seeing a car in person and driving it. What if the SES light comes on after a minute or two? What if there is some strange sounds coming from the engine, tranny, suspension, you name it. The problems can be minor or indicate a serious issue. You can proceed if you feel real comfortable talking to the seller on the phone (several times I hope) and receive numerous quality pictures of every angle of the car. If the Carfax checks out, then proceed, but with caution. Sure there are countless 'good' stories out there but every single used car I have ever purchased in my life has had an issue of some type. When I picked up my ultra low mileage SS (500 miles away from me) I found many problems conveniently not disclosed despite many phone calls and assurances. I didn't send a dime but when I saw the car and drove it, the a/c was a problem, the heater core blew, and a few other minor issues were found. By not paying up front, and no deposit, I was able to knock a full $1,000 off the 'agreed upon price'. I would have simply gone home if he didn't negotiate and been thankful that I just spent a few hundred on fast food, gas, and a motel. Best of luck to you! I hope it all works out whichever way you proceed.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Launching!

They do take PayPal for deposits. And it is officially a dealership that is selling it but it appears to be a rinky-dink, new operation. I've spoken to the guy twice so far and that has put me at ease somewhat. The car is not mint, although in good condition for its mileage, and I've been looking for a project car. This one is all original so it's just begging for me to get it. I think I'm going to take the leap. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you have the VIN for the car, plug it in here and see what options it has:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php