Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Might Pick Up T/A Saturday

Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Might Pick Up T/A Saturday

So this Saturday I'm looking at a 50k mile WS6 with a peeling hood. I haven't seen it yet, the owner just told me today about the hood and the cracked dash pad and door panels. He also said that the breaks were done a while ago but they didn't put shims in the rear. It's his wife's car one owner and they don't drive it much. Only thing I have a problem with is the hood. I've stripped and repainted cars or just panels 10+ times, only 2 of which were fiberglass, which is more of a pain and risky to not sand too much and make it wavy. I just really hope that only the hood is peeling and the rest of the paint is pretty solid, because I already stripped and repainted 2 of my own camaros and really don't want to do that again. Ordinarily I'd be turned off by the hood because I've been wanting a T/A for about 7-8 years and want it to be really, really nice. After having waited so long I want to get the right one, but I've been looking at them for sale for the past few years and any other car with these miles would be out of my price range from what I've seen.

Anything you think I should look for or be worried about since it's not been driven much? Oil leaks maybe? Tire rot and flatspots? Can I see flatspots on a tire? This would be my daily driver and I'm a little nervous about it because I've had a lot of bad luck the last 4-5 years. Also I have a nice, uncracked dash pad from a 2002 Camaro, will it work in the T/A?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dash pad will certainly work as long as the TA is 98 or newer. Is there a chance you can take the car to a trusted mechanic to give it a check? May cost you a hundred or two, but that is money well spent.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure, it's 90 miles away to a place I've never been and on a saturday. I could try to find a place, but who knows if they'd be able to look at it that day. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, I've done headgaskets in my LT1 for example.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

50,000 miles isn't exactly real low mileage so stop worrying about 'low mileage' issues like you mentioned, unless the 50,000 miles were all put on in the first two years, then the car stored away.
This WS6 sounds like it was outside quite a bit with all those cosmetic issues and certainly was rarely waxed or detailed. Cracked dash, cracked panels, bad hood = not loved as far as I'm concerned on a 50,000 miles car, and what does it tell you about the maintenance of the rest? Any fluid changes other than the oil? original dexcool? original brake fluid? original power steering fluid? You better do some serious questioning about this car before you buy a 'money pit' that needs a lot more repairs than you are aware of. You better take Raleigh TA's advice above if you still want this car. I sure would look elsewhere. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

He's asking 12k and says the dash broke just last weekend. Says the trans was serviced 1 and a half years ago. That's all I've asked so far, I'll talk to him more today.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a little annoyed with this guy, I had to get the carfax report myself, then I find out it hasn't been smogged. I kept telling him to for a few days, then he says we can do it when I come see the car. It should already be done, it will be a saturday and who knows if they will be filled up or how long I'd need to wait. I'd already be spending a lot of time looking at it thoroughly and if I buy it there's more time to spend at the bank.

I decided to give this local car a chance it has 106k miles but he claims they are babied highway miles from an older women whom he bought it from, only had it 2 months and has to move. Meticulous records and receipts including every single oil change. It's a 2000 ws6, but the price is a little high at $11,900. He says he won't take $10k. Also an automatic.

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 08-31-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

You are running into some strange folks and not people I would buy from. That 100,000+ miles car is not worth one dime over $8,500 and I don't care what was done to it in the past. You have to put money into cars with 6 figures on the odometer. There just is no getting around it. Just try to sell it in a pinch and see what you get. Trade-in might be $6,000.
Keep looking and good luck with your search.

Last edited by NC01TA; 09-01-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

local guy flaked out on me, I waited for him to call and finally he won't be able to show it this weekend.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turned out the local car had a lien on it, guy still owed money on it. Not comfortable dealing with that. Next....
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

neither car is worth the prices you are looking at paying.. at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Launching!

I paid 6750 for my a4 98 ws6 with 109k on the clock. Some people think their 4th gen should pull 2nd gen prices
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was reconsidering a car I was looking at a while ago. Everyone here told me not to get it. 99 WS6 with 67k miles with a rebuilt tranny and rear. He was asking way too much, I was only able to talk him down to $11,500. He wouldn't take less than $12k before, 3 months or more ago he was at nearly $14k. I realized I wanted it too much and wasn't thinking clearly and was rationalizing overpaying. But now I've decided to pass on all three of these cars and keep looking and try to be smart about it. Besides the last guy with the 99 seems a bit strange. I would consider paying $10k-$10.5k, but he probably won't go that low I may come back to it, I don't know. Actually, just about everyone is asking too much so it's gonna be hard. Bottom line these 3 have different issues with the cars or owners not prepared or honest, except the 99, I just don't like the rebuilt rear and tranny and price. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 09-14-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Checked out another car today from CL, guy was in a financial bind and needed cash soon so he listed it at 8k obo. He said only the hood needs repainted. But when I got there the whole thing was rough. Seemed to run ok, but I wasn't too impressed with the power, but I'm not sure if I expect too much. I've never really driven a nice ls1, so I don't have anything to compare to.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a '01 WS6, one owner (older couple) with 42500 miles on it for $12500 last June. I think some would say that I overpaid, but I knew I had to have the car. Just be patient, they are out there, and they pop up all of the time. For example, this time of year in my area some real nice cars pop up for sale all of a sudden because a farmer didn't get the crop that he was expecting. Deals are out there...
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you did really well at that price.

Found one a bit far away at a dealership that looks fantastic with 60k miles, but have to convince my wife to fly there and drive it back. I am wondering though why it's $2,600 under blue book. Don't dealers usually mark these cars up ridiculously?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

U can get it painted to match for like 240$
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was way more than just the hood. Every panel had deep scratches on it every square foot along with very heavy swirls, driver's door was cracked in three places, clear was about to go in more than half of the panels, bubbling on the t top bar. Maybe the fenders could be saved with paint correction but even that would be a long shot. Also the dexcool didn't look good. The stick looked crusty and muddy. Other fluids were ok. I already passed on it anyways. $240 may do it in NC, but to strip clearcoat from a fiberglass hood with that many curves, primered, blocked, painted to match in CA - $240 is not enough.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
So this Saturday I'm looking at a 50k mile WS6 with a peeling hood. I haven't seen it yet, the owner just told me today about the hood and the cracked dash pad and door panels. He also said that the breaks were done a while ago but they didn't put shims in the rear. It's his wife's car one owner and they don't drive it much. Only thing I have a problem with is the hood. I've stripped and repainted cars or just panels 10+ times, only 2 of which were fiberglass, which is more of a pain and risky to not sand too much and make it wavy. I just really hope that only the hood is peeling and the rest of the paint is pretty solid, because I already stripped and repainted 2 of my own camaros and really don't want to do that again. Ordinarily I'd be turned off by the hood because I've been wanting a T/A for about 7-8 years and want it to be really, really nice. After having waited so long I want to get the right one, but I've been looking at them for sale for the past few years and any other car with these miles would be out of my price range from what I've seen.

Anything you think I should look for or be worried about since it's not been driven much? Oil leaks maybe? Tire rot and flatspots? Can I see flatspots on a tire? This would be my daily driver and I'm a little nervous about it because I've had a lot of bad luck the last 4-5 years. Also I have a nice, uncracked dash pad from a 2002 Camaro, will it work in the T/A?
I've just recently picked up a NBM 2000 ws6 with an ls6 swap for 6k. It need a lot of tlc. Hood and front need to be repainted and repair. And tan interior just need to be rid of. But what got me was the ls6 motor. Ture ws6 from the vin. And the borla exhaust. N no crack dash. I did some research and found that motor alone cost 3k and hood near 1k shipped, and borla another almost 1k shipped if I were to get a clean t/a. And I still think I over paided. But I enjoy doing a process restore/built so good luck on ur search.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

I paid 4500 for my 99 with 150k on it The thing runs great and was taken care of. I wanted a driving project. So for it is not much of a project

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Might Pick Up T/A Saturday