Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Headlight motor gears replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking Headlight motor gears replaced

Hey guys, when i bought my 99 Trans Am about over a month ago, the headlight motor gears were already worn out. Whenever my headlights would close they would make a loude noise as if they wanted to keep closing down more but it couldnt. Soo I made research here in LS1 Tech and decided to buy the Brass motor gear repair replacement kit. I swapped my old white motor gears with the new brass gears, i put everything back together and gave it a try, results were... Fantastic!! my headlights opened and closed quickly free of anymore noises. Ever since I havent had any more problems with them This is for you guys that are wondering if these brass gear kits work or not, they really worked out for me and would recommend them to anyone who has problems with their headlights. I bought the pair of kits for both left (LH) and right (RH) side headlights off of Ebay... idk if im allowed to post a link but you can search it in Ebay
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very smart move, when I bought my trans am and my firebird this was the first thing I did, never had an issue from my lighhts as a result
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Very smart move, when I bought my trans am and my firebird this was the first thing I did, never had an issue from my lighhts as a result
Yeah, it was a great investment! No more problems
Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used these too, I also bent that tab more so it would seal them up good. Mine shouldn't be going out any time soon
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
I used these too, I also bent that tab more so it would seal them up good. Mine shouldn't be going out any time soon
I tried to do the same but those round caps that open up to see the gear broke off of mines, soo I used epoxy glue and glued it back soo I shouldnt have any problems soon, but when I do ama have a pain in the butt to open them up again lol
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM

I did the gears as well. I believe they were brass, anyway.. they hold up nicely and stop that God awefull noise
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I need to do this! Can you post that link?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the hardened aluminium gears. I've had them for a little over a year, no problems.

http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I heard those work great also^
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I've never had any problem with my headlights going up and down - is there any reason I should change the gears now instead of waiting for them to wear out?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Interesting. Had my 'bird almost 13 years now, and still have whatever the General put in there. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow lol yeah you are one of the lucky ones out there that didnt have a problem with the bird's headlights I guess thats the first thing I did to my Trans Am haha they wouldnt even open at times
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oldbutspry
I've never had any problem with my headlights going up and down - is there any reason I should change the gears now instead of waiting for them to wear out?
Mine wouldnt even open at times and when I closed them they would make a noise as if they kept trying to close down more an more, it got annoying for me soo I bought the brass gear kits. You might have problems in the future, but then again you might be a lucky one that doesnt have a problem with that it was really worth it for me, no lie
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Teching In

can someone send me the link to order the gears off of. i would greatly appreciate it. i have been trying to find them. I also tried to order them off of the website you guys suggested it woulnt let me.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

PM Sent
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm gonna have to get me some very soon I have had my car since 06' and all my friends would make fun of me due to the headlight gears, all I would say it dosen't make me faster haha. After a built Nitrous motor and stage 3 TDP trans and MWC rear it's time to fix the headlights lol, i'm actually going to start on the exterior of the car instead of the engine and drivetrain.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol its a easy process I fixed my friends also but we removed the bumper off his and man it was way easier for me! lol
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Replacing these cheap factory plastic gears is just a matter of time just like prostate cancer in men. It's not if it's when. Have had 8 of these T/A's and replaced 5gears so far. Just tonight had another go bad. Right side of my '01 WS-6 Convert 6M started chattering upon closing. Know the symtoms. Have 2 new aluminum gears on hand so we replace tomorrow. Just takes a little time with common handtools. I even replaced one in a motel parking lot on a Sunday afternoon while on the road. Best have a metric set of small open/boxed end wrenches to speed the job. Also mark the headlight door covers if removed for best aligment when done. Once done is one less problem down the road.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the dickman gears are the best........i got brass......3 yrs and goin strong
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by red70judge
Replacing these cheap factory plastic gears is just a matter of time just like prostate cancer in men. It's not if it's when. Have had 8 of these T/A's and replaced 5gears so far. Just tonight had another go bad. Right side of my '01 WS-6 Convert 6M started chattering upon closing. Know the symtoms. Have 2 new aluminum gears on hand so we replace tomorrow. Just takes a little time with common handtools. I even replaced one in a motel parking lot on a Sunday afternoon while on the road. Best have a metric set of small open/boxed end wrenches to speed the job. Also mark the headlight door covers if removed for best aligment when done. Once done is one less problem down the road.
Nice! Good tips for whenever I have to do it again lol

Quick Reply: Headlight motor gears replaced