Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!

Hey everyone! I just bought a 99 NBM six speed T/A! It needs some TLC but not near as much as my Camaro did when I bought it so I'm pretty happy. 109K miles, interior is immaculate, runs great, pulls hard, and I am very happy with it! I'll upload pics soon. It's dark now.

Exterior,
Needs TLC, it has a few scratches and needs a paint job. The hood has been replaced with a WS6 Ram Air hood but it's pretty wavy and orange peeled. Needs to be properly stripped and repainted along with the rest of the car. But at least the paint isn't falling off like it was on my Camaro. The wheels are the factory wheels but the front right has had a huge curb hit somewhere in it's life and is really scarred. And also it has the SLP single outlet tips on each side but the left one looks like someone tried to pry it off or something so if anyone has one of those that they would like to sell or just a decent set of tips PM me and I'll let you know if I like them or not.

Interior,
In great shape, no tears, rips or stains! All gauges work and electronics work. The monsoon radio needs to be replaced. The CD player doesn't read some of my disks, the volume **** works intermittently and I need an AUX jack lol. Is there a decent radio that will have a CD player, AUX jack and will still work with my steering wheel buttons?

Engine/Trans,
Pulls great, idles smooth, great throttle response, clutch grabs good but pedal is sluggish coming back sometimes(needs the drill mod and a Tick Performance CMC), shifts great(except for the skip shift, that will be gone soon too), and the only leak it has is a small power steering leak. It's about 1 to 2 drops a night. It might leak a little more when driving but I've watched it with the car running and pressure on the steering wheel and it doesn't appear to come out any faster.

Here's the only really bad part. Headlights, blinkers and fogs.
They work but the grind and do not come up all of the way unless I turn on the light switch then go hold them up all of the way. They will stay up then. But they don't effect the car locking or unlocking as I have seen in the stickies and other peoples threads. The car locks and unlocks just fine and the lights only make noise or come up if I turn on the switch. The Fog lights work but the right one is brighter than the left. The rear blinkers work fine, and the left front blinker works fine. But the right front blinker does not work. It comes on when I lock the car or unlock it but it does not blink when I use the blinker.

Mods when bought are:
Ram air hood, SLP LM1(still has cats), Hurst shifter, drilled and slotted rotors, WS6 tower bar, WS6 aluminum drive shaft, LS6 intake, SLP lid, and fram air filter.

Planning to buy the headlight kit from Hawks that has the metal gear in it so I can fix the grinding. But I don't know what's up with the blinker so I'll do some digging around.

Any remarks, comments, advice and help is appreciated!

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-img953257.jpg
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just bought 2 kits from Hawks so I can fix the headlight grinding, Also bought a skip shift eliminator and a short throw shifter stick.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read my thread about the headlights bud if you got any questions let me know!https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...-replaced.html

You cant go wrong with a Trans Am hope you get to enjoy the ride and keep us updated on your car! Post Pics when you can
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man! I will. I'm planning on taking pics today, nothing special but I work nights so I'm usually asleep during the day so I have to really plan stuff for daytime lol!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a decent radio that isn't ridiculously expensive that fellow T/A owners would recommend that has a AUX jack, cd player and will still work with my steering wheel controls?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

About the sterio I am not sure bud, I dont know much about T/As sterios or electronics lol but I would love to know also since im also doing a T/A project
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the factory Monsoon sterio
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I have the factory monsoon too but the CD player is going out and the volume **** has a mind of its own so I need to replace it but I like having my steering wheel controls.

Also if anyone has any suggestions about my blinker problem it would be much appreciated!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratz on the purchase! And the headlights are extremely easy to replace the gears. Easily can fix both in under an hour if you've the right tools and patience! That's the first thing I did when I purchased my WS6; replaced the gears with metal ones to prevent any further issues.

As for the blinker, just buy a new bulb. I know it doesn't seem like it'll fix the issue, but I had the EXACT same problem on my V6 'bird. I had initially bought a new hazard flasher thinking that was the case; installed it and the problem persisted. I than; for ***** and giggles just purchased a new bulb and installed it and it worked perfectly fine, and than the blinker started working again. Bulbs are like $6 and the flasher is around $10 so either way it's a quick repair. Also, just check your fuses to be on the safe side as well.

Fogs.. well if one is brighter than the other, I presume the bulb may be just going out, so replace that.

Oh, and as for the stereo, go on "http://www.crutchfield.com/" and click your make/model of your car. It comes with a free installation kit and all suggested head units that will work with your car! I don't know too much about acoustics so I just went with whatever I thought looked cool and had an AUX cable.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome dude! Thanks a lot!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's pics guys! I'll have more angles and details in the next few days. It's finals week so I've been cramming on studies.

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-img953257.jpg

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-20121203_154414.jpg

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-20121203_154421.jpg

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-20121203_154458.jpg

Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-20121203_154519.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on my head light kits from Hawks Third Gen and while I have the head light housings out I'm going to replace all of the bulbs in the blinkers and fog lights.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not the bulb its the socket of course. You'll need the headlight housing out to cut and splice in a new one.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I have an extra socket just in case. Thanks! I'm going to do that when I get the headlight gear kit and just do it all at once. Headlights, blinkers, and fog lights.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice. kinda makes me miss my NBM T/A.. the wheels gotta go tho...

i was gonna run those. Beyern Mesh wheels (for a BMW) but they fit with the right offset. 18's look AWESOME with a deep dish on a T/A 18x8.5 with a 275 on the fronts and a 18x9.5 with a 295 on the rear gives it a nice clean look

this gives a rough idea but with 19's and id maybe go either chrome or black on a NBM

Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah wheels will be gone after I get a few other things done. I don't want 18s and those wheels do look good but I'm more of an OE wheel guy. I want a set of either C5s or C6 Z06 wheels.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys. Was driving down the road and saw this switch in my 99 T/A 6 speed. It's right under the dash installed in the console right next to where the drivers right leg would be. It looks factory and connects to a harness but I don't know what it does! It's a 3-way switch(up, middle, and down) and I found it in the down position.

I stopped and flipped the switch to all 3 selections but I didn't notice and changes in anything. No lights on the outside or inside or anything that I could tell.

Here are a couple pics.

Here's the switch.
Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-20121208_012928.jpg

It is connected to the harness on the right with the gray conduit.
Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!-20121208_012953.jpg

Also what is the plug on the right which is disconnected for?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this was mine before the WS6 hood with Z06 motorsport wheels... 18's on all 4 corners

me and some buddies are going to be at North Meet tonight (1431 and 183 in the office max parking lot) around 6:30-10 ish. its an every Saturday thing and alot of the AFB guys are there. thats our local forum for austin guys. afbforums.com im sure someone local can help you with anything on the car (Hotwhip T/A is a T/A guru and knows EVERY inch of these cars)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn I wish I could make it. I work Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights regularly but I'm trying to switch off of weekends.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I know the switch isn't factory, but no clue what it is. I would suggest plugging back in the other connector.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I know the switch isn't factory, but no clue what it is. I would suggest plugging back in the other connector.
Well 1 it wasn't in the other connector to begin with and 2 it is not the same design so therefore it won't go into that connector. The connector that is empty is much bigger and I do not know what it is for.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 99 NBM T/A 6spd!