Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Lt1 sputtering at 4 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 sputtering at 4 rpm

Hey guys my 94 formula is acting up on me. Don't know what it is hoping its not the opti, maybe just a bad o2 sensor. So what happened is the check engine light popped on a couple weeks ago (i was standing at a light) and the Rpm started dropping real low like the car wanted to stall out and 5 seconds later check engine goes away and car runs fine. Up until bout week ago when I'm WOT and hit 4-4.5 rpm the cars sputters and won't go above that.usually in 1st and 2nd gear. And check engine light pops up again and goes away almost instantly. If I gradually increase rpms to 4-4.5 no sputtering.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

The first think I would do is have the code pulled.
If I remember correctly a 94 won't flash codes. You'll need an obd1 code reader.

If you can't do that then the usual comes to mind - Spark plugs, wires, maybe o2 sensors, opti.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike.
The first think I would do is have the code pulled.
If I remember correctly a 94 won't flash codes. You'll need an obd1 code reader.

If you can't do that then the usual comes to mind - Spark plugs, wires, maybe o2 sensors, opti.
Well the code isn't on now, but spark plugs are good, getting. The car back tommorow will hopefully get the o2 sensors checked, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Lt1 sputtering at 4 rpm