Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need help putting T-tops on an 80 Trans am

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help putting T-tops on an 80 Trans am

All right I have a 80 trans am, and I bought some hurst T-tops and a new roof with the T-top cut outs in it already. I would like to install them at some point in the near future but I'm debating which way would be better / easier.

1. Can I cut the roof off and weld the new one on (with the new cut outs already on it.)

2. Or can I make the cut outs on the current roof I have.

Any opinions or ideas? Has anyone tried this already and succeeded? Pictures and videos would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gonna be pretty complicated on that year and model. I wouldnt cut anything until you set up some sort of jig inside to keep everything straight. Unless your a fabricator i wouldnt attempt making the existing roof work. Your talking about a major structual modification to the car. Its not like on the newer f-bodies where the support is already there and its just a diffrent outer skin. Im pretty sure those years the roof structure is drastically diffrent between the two. I think you best bet would be find a local reputable restoration shop and see what they think. Personally I have a good bit of restoration/welding/fabrication skills under my belt, and im still not sure that would be something id attempt without some serious help
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^agreed, I wouldn't do it. I watched a fellow co-worker 20 some years ago try to put t-tops on his 1980 z-28. Used a jig saw to cut the t tops openings out of the roof. Once he pounded out the cut out roof parts the car pretty much folded up and the remaning center section made a wave so bad any pro surfer would have been scared to ride it. That car was junk afterwards.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill just get a sunroof lol
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM
D79
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly I would leave it alone. If you must have t-top just buy a t-top car.

I personally prefer the hard top. I think it gives the car cleaner lines. Never have to worry about leaks. Not sure if it makes the chassis stiffer or not since I haven't been in a t-top second gen for comparison.

EDIT:
Here is a thread of someone restoring 1979 Trans Am car that was a hard top from the factory and someone added t-tops at some point. They are putting the correct hard top back on. Just to give you a visual
http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=32283.0

Last edited by D79; 01-14-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add link

Quick Reply: Need help putting T-tops on an 80 Trans am