Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Car Might be Totaled :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Might be Totaled :(

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but, if you have seen my post about hitting the rock and trashing my oil pan, the damage to my car is worse than I thought. Had it towed to the shop today. Then the call came.

The oil is cracked, the tranny pan is bent to hell, the bellhousing is cracked, part of the exhaust is severely dented, there is something wrong with the stabilizer bar from differential to transmission and the part of the frame under the front (thin) part of the oil pan is bent.

The shop owner told me that he will put the quote together for the insurance adjuster, but it might be the case that the insurance company chooses to total the car. I don't want my car to be totaled. Does anyone know about this process? Can I tell the insurance company that I don't want the car totaled and just deal with it on my own?

I am seriously bummed right now. Have put a lot of time, love and money into my car.

Sorry for the rant folks and thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well, i dont know how bad the damage with the frame is but generally and this im sure can vary quotes with frame damage i almost always saw get totalled. As for if you can tell them you just want to deal with it i dont really know, at a different place one of my managers used to give the owner a choice as to wether he wanted to total the car or not if he saw the guy was a car enthusiast or not, it was a dirty quote but he got away with it, im sure other people have different experiences and knowledge on this subject
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm dealing with something similar with my bird. It's being totaled out, and I'm buying it back from them salvage. Gonna get a loan for another one and swap all my **** over, then part out what I can.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

With the frame damage is a tough call, they may still make it a R title even if you don't have them fix it now that they know! You should still be able to buy it back with the money they give you for it. R-title but who cares if you plan on keeping it for yrs to come
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear all this man. Hope it works out for you. How big was this rock by any chance? damn!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry about your bird man :/
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Stick car or auto?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Car insurance companies are b*#es. You pay full coverage and probably more than what they estimate your car damages are and they get cheap on you so to save money they total your car. I tried to tell them that the shop I was going to was going to give me a lower estimate so that they didn't have to total my car but they had already made up their mind about it. One shop estimated about $5,000 in damages so they just went with that one. I was like, bull!! Some dumb@*# rear ended me a drove off like a b#* so I had to report a hit and run. This happened to me not too long ago. Mine had frame damage as well. I had a 1998 Trans Am convertible that I had to say bye to but the good news now is that I have another Trans Am, 2002 that's in way better conditions than my 1998 T/A ever was.

Anyway, if the damage total is more than 60% of the car value, then they will have to total it. You can always buy it back from them at salvage price but it will then give your car a salvage title.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do NOT let them declare your modified bird to be of equal value to an unmodified bird!

I spent 4.5 months fighting with Progressive about the actual value of my heavily modified 96. Ultimately, I placed my car on eBay (along with a bunch of "Pre-Accident" photos and a list of all my modifications) and let the market determine what my car was worth.

Progressive said $3K (with $3500 worth of damage), but the market said my car was worth $8500. I brought this information (along with ALL my supporting documentation!) to the North Carolina Department of Insurance, and two days later everyone at Progressive was more than willing to completely restore my "totaled" car.

Do not give up - It can be done!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting tactic putting it on eBay- good call
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor K
The oil is cracked, the tranny pan is bent to hell, the bellhousing is cracked, part of the exhaust is severely dented, there is something wrong with the stabilizer bar from differential to transmission and the part of the frame under the front (thin) part of the oil pan is bent.
The "Frame" part he's talking about sounds like the k-member is bent. Easy replacement there. It might be a good idea while they have it all out to replace the bellhousing to check the trans and engine to make sure nothing got up in there.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

If they want to total it you don 't have to let them. You can make them pay up to their limit and you cover the rest. They don't like to do it but you are well within your rights to do so. Then you avoid salvage titles and the buyback hassle which isn't always a good deal.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt think it would be totalled. Sounds like a good excuse to get insurance to pay for mods Tubular TQ Arm some new exhaust. Tubular K etc. See if the shop will work with you. Most of these pieces are equal if not cheaper than GM list prices for OEM stuff.

Quick Reply: Car Might be Totaled :(