Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need help jumping a switch

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help jumping a switch

I have a totaled out 99 Firebird, keys somehow disappeared after the wreck and insurance process. I need in the hatch so I can part it, but the button isn't working and the car doesn't seem to have battery power even though the battery never got disconnected.

How can I jump the switch? does the car do something in the event of a crash to cut off all power and it can be reset? or is there another trick for opening it?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to my 96 Service Manual (page 8A - 134 - 0) - which may or may not be accurate for your 99; find your hatch release relay - behind and to the RIGHT of the glove box BEHIND a sheet metal partition - it has the following wire colours: BRN, ORN, TAN / WHT, and BLK / WHT - apply B+ (i.e. - 12V) to the BLK / WHT wire - this should "pop" the hatch!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

thanks!

I was under the impression there was only a relay box under the hood, and a fuse panel on the right side of the dash?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default They hide a few of the 'special' relays...

Originally Posted by ANGRY BIRD
thanks!

I was under the impression there was only a relay box under the hood, and a fuse panel on the right side of the dash?
Yes, but GM has decided to hide a few relays to avoid easy theft.

Examples: My fuel pump relay is under the dash on the driver's side, and the VATS relay and Hatch Release relay are both behind and to the right of the glove box - again to make theft more difficult.

Did you get it open?

BTW - Saw the pics of your (smashed) bird - I thought I was the only guy who painted the engine of a 'bird Pontiac Engineblock Blue - Nicely done!

: )
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

No been too busy, thanks. I though Pontiac Blue would pay nice hommage to the old school, almost did Buick Red since 3800's came from the Buick 231 Fireball.

My boss told me today that if the fire department came they cut my battery cables, so I'm gonna check them first on my day off.

I appreciate the help.

Ps that motor is staying Pontiac Blue and going in my Camaro this Spring lollll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help jumping a switch