Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Oil Leak Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leak Advice Wanted

I recently traded a GSXR 1000 for a '99 Trans Am six speed car. So far I have changed the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. I also drained what ever fluid was in the radiator. The fluid that was in the radiator was a redish brown color and turned to slush when the temperature dropped.
I drain what I could filling it with fresh antifreeze each time until there seemed to be a good mix for the winter months. I drove the car five miles after I got it to a cold storage shed to be stored until I can spend some time workng on it. Yesterday, I started the car and let run for a bit after pulling the codes from the obdII port and again checking the fluids. When I went to check the cardboard a put under the car there were two spots where the car is leaking what I think is oil. One spot is near where the oil filter and plug are on the pan and the other spot is directly in line with the driveline where the bellhousing meets up with the tranny or where the motor meets the bellhousing. I will know more tomorrow. I am going out tomorrow to inspect the leaks. My question is what should I look for specifically if anything. What are common areas to consider for leaks on these cars?

Codes I pulled were as follows.

P0307 - cylinder 7 missfire
P1415 - secondary air injection system

I realized when I traded for the car that I was going to be wrenching on it. This car has seen better days and I am looking forward to turning into a nice car again.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got any pics of the trade? How many miles on it
Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Teching In

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Good looking car, are they big spots? the one by the bellhousing could be a rear main, and maybe the pan gasket leaking a bit, I'm still a noob to the ls world so I don't know anything about these specificly
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by '99REDTA
Good looking car, are they big spots? the one by the bellhousing could be a rear main, and maybe the pan gasket leaking a bit, I'm still a noob to the ls world so I don't know anything about these specificly

I am yet another newb to the community! I had an oil leak from the Oil Level Sensor in the side of the oil pan. One thing to check is maybe wipe it down and see if you have an oil leak with the car not running. That way you will know if it is like the pan gasket or sensor in the side of the pan. If it stay dry until you have it running then i would check the Oil Pressure sensor on the back of the motor ( just run your hand back there and see if its wet with oil). If still nothing then maybe its a rear main seal or the back cover gasket.

Again I'm still new to the community this is just some info that i have gathered via the forum and asking questions. Hope this helps
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kvrL33
I recently traded a GSXR 1000 for a '99 Trans Am six speed car. So far I have changed the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. I also drained what ever fluid was in the radiator. The fluid that was in the radiator was a redish brown color and turned to slush when the temperature dropped.
I drain what I could filling it with fresh antifreeze each time until there seemed to be a good mix for the winter months. I drove the car five miles after I got it to a cold storage shed to be stored until I can spend some time workng on it. Yesterday, I started the car and let run for a bit after pulling the codes from the obdII port and again checking the fluids. When I went to check the cardboard a put under the car there were two spots where the car is leaking what I think is oil. One spot is near where the oil filter and plug are on the pan and the other spot is directly in line with the driveline where the bellhousing meets up with the tranny or where the motor meets the bellhousing. I will know more tomorrow. I am going out tomorrow to inspect the leaks. My question is what should I look for specifically if anything. What are common areas to consider for leaks on these cars?

Codes I pulled were as follows.

P0307 - cylinder 7 missfire
P1415 - secondary air injection system

I realized when I traded for the car that I was going to be wrenching on it. This car has seen better days and I am looking forward to turning into a nice car again.

Thank you for your thoughts.
My LT1 leaked from the oil pressure sending unit above the filter... I'm not sure how similar that is to an LS motor but it might be worth checking. It caused a leak in the same exact spots that you specified, one underneath the starter and one underneath the sending unit itself. Other than that, I would guess rear main or oil pan gasket. Probably rear main, replace it next time you swap your clutch.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

I didn't get a chance to run out to the shed today because it rained here but I will keep this going and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Teching In

The kid I got the car from told me the motor and tranny came from an 01 Z28 with 54k. Not sure but I gues it could be possible. I haven't looked at the number on the block/heads yet. Maybe I will look into it tomorrow.

Here are some pics. I have been working on the car now that it's nice out.

Pretty dirty.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Teching In

I took a pic after cleaning. I haven't touched the intake ports yet except for cylinder 7. Soaked that one a lil due to the misfire issue. I will wait til im ready to close it up b4 i clean the rest of them. I don't use much cleaner but don't want any sitting in the cylinder too long.

Anyone tell me what is wrong in picture 2 on here? Trick question.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Advice Wanted